a weekend in Brugge


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Saint-Raphael » Brugge
December 19th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

city centercity centercity center

the main square is comprised of huge castle-looking buildings, and the inside of this square contains an ice-skating rink for the season.
This weekend I headed off to Brugge, Belgium with a friend. Brugge is a small town near the Northern coast of Belgium known for its history and charm. The entire city contains nothing but cobblestone streets, and there are about five different churches and cathedrals with their beautiful towers and bells all in this little city! The city also has a little canal system with all the old fortresses to get into the city still maintained.

It was really beautiful, and it was so nice to get away from the city for a little weekend. Brugge was also decorated for Christmas with several Christmas markets and an ice skating rink in the city center. As usual, I enjoyed my favorite Belgian foods: chocolate and french fries. It probably wasn't the healthiest weekend!

Now I am anxiously awaiting my mom's arrival on Thursday! We are planning to visit all the wonderful musuems in Paris in addition to travelling to Angers, the town in which I lived two years ago.

I'm attaching pictures not only from Brugge but from other exciting recent events in my life.

I hope everybody reading has a happy holiday! I miss all of you!
another viewanother viewanother view

of the city center.





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

one of the church towers..one of the church towers..
one of the church towers..

...with the sun behind it!
large building in brugge...large building in brugge...
large building in brugge...

i think we decided that it was the town hall, although neither of us speak dutch. the whole time we were in this city we were relying on fluency in english, french, and meager german skills. it was an adventure.
santa hat!santa hat!
santa hat!

that's me exhibiting the christmas spirit!
zeebruggezeebrugge
zeebrugge

we also went up to the northern coast to see the ocean - this is the coldest ocean i have been to in my life. i got out, took a picture, and got back in the car!
despite the cold...despite the cold...
despite the cold...

...it was a really beautiful beach.
i went to a soccer game this month!i went to a soccer game this month!
i went to a soccer game this month!

it was insane! people here are really crazy about soccer.
i didn't feel very safe...i didn't feel very safe...
i didn't feel very safe...

they searched and patted everyone down before we went into the stadium, and they had riot police ready outside, but nobody seemed to care when the hooligan section lit torched on fire inside the stadium. i don't think french people understand fire safety.


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb