To Orange in France from Spain, a slightly tedious drive.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Orange
September 16th 2015
Published: October 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Bob had planned our route from Spain back to France so that we started off on the motorway then once clear of Narbonne we would use the ordinary N roads which run parallel to the toll road.

Didn't quite end up as the route we had expected.

First of all we failed to find the motorway near Figueres and drove almost to the border before we found a way on. Very odd !

We paid 0.85 euro cents for the honour of travelling 1 km along the Spanish bit of the toll road and then we were in France. We pulled off the motorway as planned just before Narbonne and Tina TomTom directed us to an N road but it was awfully full of stops, starts, roundabouts, speed bumps, traffic lights and irritatingly slow traffic.

She turned us at last onto a nice yellow road through a valley of vineyards so we stopped for lunch now we had a nice view.



It didn't last. She totally unexpectedly turned us off our half empty pretty road and threw us back in with the traffic. Even more surprisingly, just as I expected to be heading north round Montpelier towards Nimes, we suddenly saw the sea and hundreds of flamingos. Tina had decided to take us via the Camargue coast road. Really had not expected to go via La Grand Motte today.



We did eventually manage to bypass Nimes and picked up the road to Orange which was more pleasant but still far more slow traffic than we prefer. We went through a few pretty towns, a couple a bit smaller than Bob prefers when shepherding our 7 metre 3.5 ton Tandy round narrow roads but we made it safely, as always, to Orange and our campsite.



We had unusually pre-booked, as we need to be in Orange tomorrow night for the Dave Gilmore concert. Checked in, found our pitch and squeezed the Tandy in then had a swim and a drink at the bar.

Very windy but so far no sign of the storm which has been promised and which we obviously don't want as the concert is outdoor in the Roman amphitheatre .



No WiFi as the mast is down so using my mobile's Vodafone Eurotraveller allowance just for today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb