Lunch time in lovely L'isle sur la Sorgue


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2023
Edit Blog Post

13/6//23 l’isle sur la sorgue


Woken in the middle of the night by a massive crack of thunder which was followed by heavy rain. And when you are sleeping in a motorhome you hear all the drops as they land on the roof I can promise you. Must have soothed us to sleep again as it was a bit later than normal when we woke.

Had decided that lovely though Avignon is we didn’t want to do another city day, especially after getting a bit overheated yesterday. So we set out for L'isle sur la Sorgue, a pretty town about 20 miles due East. The traffic getting across Avignon is pretty horrendous but we made it safely out the other side and once clear of the city had a pleasant drive.

We have been to L’isle sur la Sorgue and in fact stayed there, on a vineyard, using the French Passion free camping scheme, in 2003 on our way to stay in Avignon. This time a perfect spot for lunch out and a spot of window shopping. The tourist part of town is built on an island in the middle of the river Rhone and is filled with antique shops, beautifully decorated shops and lots of cafes.
Managed not to buy anything though the window displays were pretty gorgeous but we did stop for a lovely gambas and frites lunch at one of the restaurants on the river.
From there we visited the most amazing shop brim full of so many things that were fascinating to look at but goodness knows how they would look in our house at home so we bought nothing. The shop backet up to a little section of the river and the area outside was very playfully decorated. There was a table and chairs half in the water and lots of flowers. Delightful.

Back then to Avignon. We went a different way back, just using the smaller scenic roads but I failed to spot a turn we needed to take so we ended up in the full Avignon afternoon traffic to get back and through the city to the campsite.

Time for a swim and I went to the pool right away as knew a storm was once again forecast. Did one single circuit in the water when everyone was asked to get out as the storm was on the way. As it happened the storm did not this time. A couple of heavy rumbles and then it fizzled out.

Being careful to keep the blinds closed. We are both acquiring a collection of bites. Not seen what is biting. Ants possibly but not seen many, just keep getting landed on and then finding lumps.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb