Jez loves poles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Èze
May 24th 2008
Published: August 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The staff at the hostel were great and every morning would come around with maps telling you good places to visit and how to get there. On this day we decided we'd go to Eze, a small medieval town perched atop a hill with great views out over the ocean. On the way Jez continued his shocking form with his camera. He would see a good view, scramble to get his camera out, click and ... lamp post. He sometimes mixed it up with trees, powerlines and the side of buildings. I think he should produce a 2009 calendar of Europes greatest poles.

A group of Canadians from the hostel were on the bus to Eze also. Anthony, who was staying in our room was quite funny but a tad creepy as he kept stareing at Jez while he slept. I'm pretty sure he played for the other team. Anyway he was telling us how while working for NZ immigration in London he had a couple send in dirty letters as part of their proof of relationship. Pretty funny stuff.

Eze had a Venetian feel to it with tight winding streets. The fee to get into the garden at the top to see the view was pretty steep so we went in search of an alternate viewpoint. And we found it, we only had to go through the cemetary. The view was worth it. We stood and looked out for a good while. The church just below the graveyard is apparently where the Edge from U2 got married. Just a little fact for you.

Jez and I grabbed a baguette for lunch. It's the French way. While buying it we got talking to an Australian lady. We told her Bluey was Aussie and he was just outside. He was a bit shocked when a random lady strolled up and said 'you must be the Aussie'. She was with her daughter and invited Bluey to catch up with them in Paris so that was pretty random.

After Eze we bused to Monaco. As we approached we could hear the roars of the formula one cars as they undertook a practice session. When we walked down towards the track it became deafeningly awesomely loud. So much so I couldn't hear my phone ring four times. Andre, the big rig, my old flatmate was meeting up with us. Once I eventually answered we met up. Bluey grabbed his ticket for the following day and we had to head back to Nice because of the stupid train strike.

Once back at the hostel we had planned on buying pizzas but ended up having both pizza and brownies given to us by people that had over ordered. Score. We sat around yarning and I remember Bluey told us a story about his Contiki trip which had us in stitches. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell it but I'll let you know it involves him being stalked and her trying to impress him by spontaneously breaking into a belly dance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb