Marseille and Avignon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur » Avignon
August 15th 2008
Published: August 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

MarseilleMarseilleMarseille

View from our room
Marseille

We stayed in a nice hotel right on the Vieux Port in the central city. Everything was within walking distance which was handy.
Our room was overlooking the the port over to the hill in the distance, which had the N.D Basilica perched on top, great sight at night as it was well lit up.
The weather was cooler than what we were used too, but a welcome relief none the less. I even had to squeeze back into my jeans!
Marseille is the second largest city in France, also the oldest. It was founded by the Greeks in 600bc. The original walls protecting the port still stand today.
We took a mini train tour around the port area which took us to the top of the hill for fantastic views of the city and port below. The Basilica has a statue of La Bonne Mare who it has been said, protects the city, and has done so since 1214. So glad we chose to get the mini train up because at the top we learnt it was 147m in altitude. The height of the statue is 11.20m.
From the top of the hill I could see the Vieux port. We could also see the ring of hills surrounding the city on each side and of course, the beautiful Mediterranean coast. I wish I wore shorts though, because it was so windy at the top and I had to hold my hair & dress down!!. Dale loved it.





"Bonjour" from Avignon, yet again we find ourselves in another beautiful city.
Surrounded with walls, the city has still got its 12th century charm and we fell in love with it the moment we saw it.
The city is scattered with palaces, towers and cathedrals, which give it a great feel.
On the first night, we climbed to the top of a lookout, Dale having a cold, protested a bit, but was happy once we had made it up.
From the top we had a nice view of the sunset, Rhone Valley, the Island in the middle of the river dividing the town between Avignon and Villenerve les Avignon. We were interested in the bridge, Pont St Benezet, which was broken on one end so only stretched halfway across the river! We learnt that the bridge was once the only crossing point on Southern Rhone during
MarseilleMarseilleMarseille

Look at the view from the top of the Basilica
the 12th century, making Avignon an important trading centre. The bridge got ruined by flood waters and was abandoned.

The next day we woke up, took advantage of the free breakfast and went off to explore the old city. We sat up at the Rocher des Dorm, the place we went the night before, and had lunch. We saw some great shops in the town, including a nice lolly shop with a window full of dried fruits and sweets, mmmmm! We had a great time hanging around this beautiful city.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

MarseilleMarseille
Marseille

Cathedral
AvignonAvignon
Avignon

Like a post card


Tot: 0.353s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb