Background: Although ultimately a victor in World Wars I and II, France suffered extensive losses in its empire, wealth, manpower, and rank as a dominant nation-state. Nevertheless, France today is one of the most modern countries in the world and is a leader among European nations. Since 1958, it has constructed a presidential democracy resistant to the instabilities experienced in earlier parliamentary democracies. In recent years, its reconciliation and cooperation with Germany have proved central to the economic integration of Europe, including the introduction of a common exchange currency, the euro, in January 1999. At present, France is at the forefront of efforts to develop the EU's military capabilities to supplement progress toward an EU foreign policy.
Photos from Arras
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Arras
Latest Blogs from Arras
- September 9th 2011 Ecclectic Update.
by Words: 1135 Photos: 77
- August 23rd 2011 Ridin' Solo (solo)
by Words: 400 Photos: 1
- August 21st 2011 In Flander's Fields...
by Words: 1907 Photos: 11
- August 17th 2011 Franz Ferdinand
by Words: 1245 Photos: 1
- August 16th 2011 Hello from Arras, France
by Words: 1889 Photos: 10
- July 3rd 2011 Hot music
by Words: 1176 Photos: 7
- July 2nd 2011 Reines de l'age des pierres
by Words: 772 Photos: 4
- October 19th 2010 Heading Back "Home" to the UK
by Words: 941 Photos: 4
- August 25th 2010 First night in France was party time
by Words: 496 Photos: 3
- January 21st 2009 Arras France June 2007
by Words: 7575 Photos: 32
- September 28th 2008 Arras
by Words: 584 Photos: 11
- September 27th 2008 Bethune
by Words: 899 Photos: 3
- September 27th 2008 Bethune 2
by Words: 222 Photos: 3
- June 21st 2008 Last day in Paris
by Words: 147 Photos: 7
- April 2nd 2008 Pour la suite des choses!
by Words: 205 Photos: 3
- March 6th 2008 Visite à la "Germinal"
by Words: 172 Photos: 13
- February 16th 2008 Quelques photos de la vie de tous les jours!
by Words: 72 Photos: 12
- February 1st 2008 Le site de Beaumon-Hamel
by Words: 518 Photos: 11
- January 29th 2008 Le gout d'une journée de congé!
by Words: 219 Photos: 9
- January 19th 2008 Un petit tour du proprio
by Words: 559 Photos: 7