Mont Saint-Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Mont Saint-Michel after spending the night in the quaint seaside village of Cabourg, France Cabourg is definitely worth a longer visit. But the main event for the day would be the Mont, and it did not disappoint. We began to see the vision of the Mont, 12 kilometers away as we left the highway and began the drive throught the coastal plains towards this magical island. All we could see was a misty image through the afternoon haze. It was just enough to whet ones appetite for what was coming. As we got closer, the apparition turned to reality and soon we found ourselves staring up at what is one of the most amazing sights I have ever been privileged to behold. It was many times larger than I expected and it was immensely more beautiful. As it is the off season, we were able to park right at the front gate. We took several pictures and then began the short walk up to the Castle. As we entered the Mont, I got the suspicion that the off season was definitely the time to visit. The "streets" were very small and the crowds they would be expected to contain had to be immense. I could not imagine trying to navigate these environs with thousands of other travelers. For all its history and magnificence, the Mont is not without a certain amount of "cheese" For instance, there are many souvenir shops selling all sorts of goods to the pilgrim. But the worst has to be the "movie". For a tariff of 4 Euro, you go into a small room with lots of sailing ships, where, eventually you are spoken to by a "ships-captain" through a hand held radio. You must walk around the room trying to find the signal for the "captain" as he fades in and out constantly. Long story short....don't waste your money on this side show. Save your loose change for the abbey. It is well worth the entry fee of 8.50 Euro and I also recommend the 5 Euro recording. If you listen to the entire track, you come away with a tremendous among of knowledge as well as a real appreciation of the history of the Mont. Needless to say, we give this sight a vigorous thumbs up for all ages.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb