Off to the Dordogne at Montignac on the Vezere


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Limousin
June 24th 2016
Published: June 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Rather stunned by the UK news when we woke that the referendum was for Out with a narrow margin. Expected it to be as close but the other way. Will say no more on the matter except that we love all things Europe and that is why we spend quite a lot of our time travelling round it.

Taking a step northwards today, direction Dordogne. We planned a route to avoid Bordeaux entirely and went due East then north. Through the pretty scenery of the Bordeaux wine growing area, pretty villages, churches and castles. Stopped for lunch on the edge of a little fortified town and belatedly, after eating, spotted the frites van. Better luck next time, love French frites for lunch.

We crossed the Dordogne near Bergerac then didn't see that mighty river again as the Tomtom took us north and then East to where we found the Vezere at Montignac.

We've stayed a little way down river from here before at St Leon sur Vezere but decided on a change this time and the campsite is lovely and only 5 minutes walk into the town along the river.

Campsite, Moulin de Bleufond, is quite small but has everything we need including ACSI, a nice pool, bread and a bar / restaurant.

We stopped at the bar for coffee after dinner and were just paying the bill when Bob noticed that the sky, previously cornflower blue, had gone black.

3 minutes back to Tandy and only had time for Bob to throw the chairs and table into the garage and for me to shut all the windows which we had left wide open, before the rain hammered down. But before the rain, a tornado like wind which bent all the tall trees, acacias and scented limetrees almost double. Bob had a problem, he couldn't shut the door against the violent wind and rain as the fly screen had jammed it. He had to sit on the floor holding it shut until eventually I found a bungee elastic to secure it.

What drama. There was a bang and Bob asked if I had closed all the windows. I knew I had but checked. Then I checked the roof, which was lighting up as if by spotlight from the persistent lightening, and spotted a big branch lying across it. That was the big bang. A 1/4 of a tree had broken off in the wind and was lying mainly on the floor between Tandy and the hedge, but one part on the roof.

Campsite personnel appeared as soon as the thunder and lightening had eased off as there was a branch down which had narrowly missed the awning of the caravan across the way. We showed them our tree and they were impressed.
A chain saw and ladders appeared plus quite a lot of campsite spectators and the broken bough was cut off and removed from the roof. Incredibly nothing was damaged. Tandy has a sturdy body !


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb