Day out in Argeles-sur-Mer


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Argeles-sur-Mer
September 11th 2013
Published: September 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We didn’t decide what we were going to do today until we got up as we were waiting to check the weather. There was some blue sky but a lot of cloud so we decided we would visit the town and on foot rather than getting the scooter out.

I checked the map on Google, thank you campsite for free good wifi, and discovered that it has a marina to the south of the town so we headed for there.

First of all visited the market which was full of amazing things, none of which we had any desire to buy or any use for (though Bob was tempted by a 2 for 1 offer on a mop for only €10 !)

The promenade is very nicely done. The houses along the sea front are all set well back and separated from the sea by a wide green space. Several of the houses are very attractive villa style dating to the late 1800s.

At the moment there is a superb exhibition of photos on display of local sea life and we took quite a time to get along as we kept stopping to admire the pictures. It also took quite a while to walk the length of the promenade as it is very long. We can see why this is such a popular holiday resort, the beach is sandy and stretches for miles as far as the eye can see until it reaches the edge of the Pyrenees where they drop down to the sea.

Very fortunately, the sun had decided to shine again and appeared for a few hours in all its blue-skied glory. So hot in fact that I was forced to put my shirt on to save the back of my neck from burning. We walked right round the extensive and very modern marina. Lots and lots of boats and plenty of restaurants to choose from for our lunch. We realised we hadn’t yet had our favourite, galettes, so stopped at a creperie and ordered galette complete, mine with a supplement of champignons to make it extra nice.

Then a walk back to Argeles-Plage, a stop for a coffee and a most fortunate spot of a souris for Lynne. We always enjoy mouse hunting on our trips !

There is another part of Argeles, Argeles-sur-Mer, the town proper but we haven’t found that and we had walked quite far enough as my knee has been at pains to tell me.

Back at the campsite we went for a good swim, suspecting it may be the last for a few days at least, as it will undoubtedly be colder from tomorrow when we will be in the Pyrenees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 30; qc: 150; dbt: 0.1561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb