Another Wonderful Week in Paris - April 16 - 21, 2017


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
April 21st 2017
Published: April 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

During Lent We Saw One Station of the CrossDuring Lent We Saw One Station of the CrossDuring Lent We Saw One Station of the Cross

brought them down to the marina
We had read about a flower market that is held on Ile de la Cite every day, but that on Sunday’s they also sell birds. It sounded like an interesting place to aim for on a walk on Easter Sunday. It is located near Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle Chapel which is an interesting area added to it being a good destination.

On our way we passed a lovely tea shop, so stopped for a pot of tea. There were numerous types of tea so with both of us choosing a different one to try; the tea was delivered with a very clever egg timer. It had 3 egg timers, one for 3 minutes, and another for 4 and the last for 5 minutes. We were informed how long we should wait for each of our teas before removing the tea bag – quite clever. A relaxing way to start our day.

We passed by a shop well known for its sweets, both chocolate and biscuits (cookies). With it being Easter Bob thought we must take a look. They offered a hazelnut biscuit to taste which was wonderful. We almost bought some but decided those are the things we are trying to keep off the boat so they wouldn’t tempt our willpower. Bob did purchase a small bag of chocolates so at least we had a chance to try some of their delicious creations.

When we got to the Marche aux fleurs (Flower Market) we found others had the same idea as it was crowded, but still worth coming to. We saw offerings ranging from common house plants seen elsewhere to orchid shops and even a few small trees for your yard. Bird offerings included the exotic, pigeons and even a few chickens and roosters. We would have loved to purchase a few plants but decided we would take photos instead as they are easier to deal with when we leave the boat! For plants on the boat we are in the process of growing some herbs and we did add a beautiful house plant last week called African breeze (ornithogalum dubium) to our humble home.

This week we have been quite social as we had a lovely visit from our friend, Jean-Paul one evening as he was passing through Paris. Thursday night we had a wonderful time on a friend's boat here in the marina. Many of the US friends that are here on their boats were at the gathering -what a wonderful meal and we thoroughly enjoyed socializing and getting to know many of them better. It is interesting that we have met 3 people here that have had upstate NY connections and actually know where we used to live! We unfortunately heard the news about the attack and killing of a policeman here in Paris while we were socializing. An attack unfortunately can happen anywhere and it is always upsetting to hear that there is so much violence going on all over the world.

As our mast is in storage for our travels through the canals, Bob had to figure out how to build a mast in order to put our radio antenna on it for better reception. It will also help us in warning us if we are getting too tight with any of the low bridges or tunnels! It may not be the prettiest mast, but it works!!

We have also been busy getting ready to have our very good friends from Germany come to stay with us on the boat for a few days. This will be the first time we have people staying overnight with us so we are making some modifications of where things are so they have some place to “hang their hat”. It should be interesting to see how it all works out – will let you know in the next blog entry.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

A Few Details of the Palace of JusticeA Few Details of the Palace of Justice
A Few Details of the Palace of Justice

with detailed sculptures on the clock
Can Anyone Identify This One?Can Anyone Identify This One?
Can Anyone Identify This One?

interesting each petal is 2 colors
Shopping Carts Used For EverythingShopping Carts Used For Everything
Shopping Carts Used For Everything

even a few trees for your garden
Only a Few of the Possibles For the French PresidentOnly a Few of the Possibles For the French President
Only a Few of the Possibles For the French President

This election is down to 11 candidates from 17
Beautiful Music Heard from this InstrumentBeautiful Music Heard from this Instrument
Beautiful Music Heard from this Instrument

He is from Africa, instrument from Georgia USA!
Meat on a SkewerMeat on a Skewer
Meat on a Skewer

with potatoes down below getting the drippings
Tsamya's Home in the Marina in ParisTsamya's Home in the Marina in Paris
Tsamya's Home in the Marina in Paris

for a while another boat was tied to us, but now gone
Our Antenna Mast Created by BobOur Antenna Mast Created by Bob
Our Antenna Mast Created by Bob

for use in the canals


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb