First Day in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 13th 2006
Published: September 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello Friends and Family -- Wendy here. It's quite late for us, and we are getting up early to go to the Louvre tomorrow morning, but I can't resist telling you a bit about our first day ...

First of all, I think we walked about eight miles today, which is one mile more than it should have been. After breakfast, we got about a half mile away toward the Eiffel Tower, and Adrienne realized we hadn't paid for our coffee and croissant! (In all of Europe, you need to ASK for the tab; it doesn't automatically arrive at your table.) So, back we sped, thinking that the police would be outside getting our description from the restaurant owner. We discovered that the owner had barely noticed our absence, and our bill was waiting along with others at the coffee bar. We paid, and re-traced our steps.

The Eiffel tower was awesome! I had seen it thirty years ago, but really took in its magnificence all over again. We have some great photos, which I hope we can load at some point before we return. Adrienne went all the way up the elevator to the third level -- very close to the top. I was more conservative, and stopped at the second level.

After lunch, we took in the Arc de Triomphe (went to the top), and the Champs d'Elysses. After Adrienne paid homage at the Sephora headquarters there, we had tea in an elegant historical tea room (marble bathrooms -- best in Paris), walked through the Tuileries, planned our vist to the Louvre, and went back to the hotel in the Latin Quarter. We'd have ended up somewhere East of here, had I not noticed Notre Dame cathedral to our right, a clear signal it's time to turn.

While we don't think much of our hotel (small, but okay), the Paris Latin Quarter rocks with great ethnic restaurants. We've had Greek, Vietnamese (best I've ever eaten), and Indian food. Breakfast is in the French food genre, but after that, anything goes.

More soon. Our best to all of you. Wendy

Advertisement



14th September 2006

What's Sephora?
Ooooh lah lah! I can only surmise this is some kind of female toiletry company. Did Adrienne get any free samples, and will she be allowed to take them on the plane?
14th September 2006

Sephora is ...
Check it out at www.sephora.com. We both bought stuff there. Yes, we both got samples, but only 1 each! Must be packed and checked -- not on the cabin! At least that is our current understanding. W.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb