Now we're in Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
September 10th 2006
Published: September 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

John Lennon WallJohn Lennon WallJohn Lennon Wall

In the 80's until the end of communism in 1989, activists would scribble lyrics from Beatles songs, peace signs and slogans, and related artwork on this wall. Here is a description: "The wall continuously undergoes change and the original portrait of Lennon is long lost under layers of new paints. Even when the wall was re-painted by some authorities, on the second day it was again full of poems and flowers. Today, the wall represents a symbol of youth ideals such as love and peace."
Greetings everyone, from Adrienne in Prague. Wendy is contributing as well.

We wanted to share some photos with you all of our travels in the Czech Republic so far. It's funny, without our orphan stories we feel we don't have as much to say on the blog, so pictures are probably the best way to convey what we are up to. And we're sure you'd rather see photos than read endless text!

We have been very lucky with the weather so far. It is like late October in Austin! Sunny, cool, but you don't have to wear a jacket if you don't want to.

Some random thoughts: being here is like being in a postcard. Every thing that reaches the optic nerve is beautiful and historical. There are so many important things to see that we will not come close to visiting them all, but we are doing a good job of catching the highlights.

However, this place is way to crowded with tourists! And it's not the "tourists" that are so bad, but the tour groups. It's not just a few people you have to get around, it's masses of 20 to 30 people standing around
View of the Charles BridgeView of the Charles BridgeView of the Charles Bridge

We walked to the top of the Lesser Quarter Towers and had a great view of the Charles Bridge. This particular day started out a bit overcast.
and blocking your view or blocking your way, and there are dozens of these groups. And they all have to stay together, so they are not very nice about moving over to let you get by. It gets very aggravating.

We have 2 maps and 3 books between us, but we still can't figure out where we are going. We have started our own scientific method for getting around: Wendy picks a direction, and when we get to a crossroad I pick a direction, and so on. Somehow we always end up at our destination so I guess it works.

And restaurants here charge a "cover" charge. So when your bill comes it's a bit higher than you anticipated. The first time we saw this on a bill (it said "couvert") we asked what it was and we were told it covered using the salt and pepper and eating the bread they put out. Even if you don't eat the bread, you will still get charged (we tried not eating what they brought out at one cafe and the charge still appeared).

So for us, that is Prague so far. Hope you enjoy the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Dancing BuildingDancing Building
Dancing Building

This building was completed in 1996 (Frank Gehry is one of the architects) and surprisingly blends in very well with its neighbors.
Adrienne, Wendy, and St. GeorgeAdrienne, Wendy, and St. George
Adrienne, Wendy, and St. George

Your guides in front of a statue of St. George, in the Old Town Square.
Prague CastlePrague Castle
Prague Castle

That's the castle in the distance.
St. Vitus CathedralSt. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral

Up very close at the St. Vitus Cathedral at Prague Castle.
Inside St. Vitus CathedralInside St. Vitus Cathedral
Inside St. Vitus Cathedral

How we got this picture is funny story we have to tell you in person.


11th September 2006

Fabulous Pics!
Looks like you ladies are having a fabulous time taking pics of some unbeliveable sites. Can't wait to look at some more when you get back home. Enjoy the rest of your trip and we'll see you soon!
11th September 2006

Happy Adventures
Hi Adrienne and Wendy, Just a quick note to say how proud I am of your volunteer work in the orphanage. It's great that you both did something so meaningful during your sabbatical. I haven't had time to fully read all your travel adventures, but I can imagine the stories you will have when you return. Safe travels to you and thanks for being such an inspiration. The photos are great! Take care, Carol
12th September 2006

Thanks, Carol
I'm so happy you are reading us, Carol. We do have tons of stories and photos. We arrived in Paris today, and all is well. Keep the AMD fires burning! Wendy

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb