Foibles & Learning By Experience


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 23rd 2012
Published: October 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Stormy WeatherStormy WeatherStormy Weather

A foible we had no control over was that it rained quite a bit. We were forewarned before leaving home and adjusted our wardrobes to includes boots and rain gear. We didn't let the weather stop us and by using public transportation, spending time in museums and other indoor attractions, and occasionally choosing to eat inside at a cafe hardly noticed the rain drops. Here at the Louvre, the Metro stop can be accessed without even going outside.
The girl trip to Paris wasn't without it's lesson-learning faux pas, nimble plan changes and funny (or not) moments!







Our adventures took us to "the learning curve" even before we left the USA. On the way back to the airport during our layover in Philladelphia some of us who took a shuttle train to see the Liberty Bell got on the wrong train. We were actually "profiled" by the kind and savvy conductor who discerned that four WASPy looking women with French / English dictionaries sticking out of their totebags didn't really want to go to south Philly. This smart man got us off the wrong train and re-directed us to the airport shuttle!











We also learned that it would be folly to not always carry our Medicare cards (half of our group was "of age"). On the Airport/Philly shuttle train on the way into town we learned that regular one fee is $8. We also learned that the tariff is only $1 for those with Medicare cards. NB - Medicare Cards ONLY ---- passports, drivers licenses, and other forms of ID don't
Ne Touche PasNe Touche PasNe Touche Pas

We had read in a guide book that one doesn't touch "goods" in a shop with out permission. This became an object lesson when it came to the fresh produce begging to be touched in the outdoor markets. Shop keeper NOT jolie!
count.











We learned that if a flight - especially a night flight - is delayed it is best to grab a bite to eat even if a free meal awaits once the plane can get going again. In our case, our plane took off, got over the Atlantic for at least a half hour before we heard the disconcerting announcement that we were turning back to Philadelphia. This caused anxiety and put us on the ground for 2 more hours. We should not have waited so long to have dinner. US Air kept saying we would board soon and wouldn't give us a meal voucher. The free wine was really a paultry way to make up for our inconvenience. Lessons learned!













Among out other little ooopsies --- Patti almost got left on the Metro platform. I got the equivalent of a mammogram when squeezing into a Metro which was about to leave the station. Ellen and I (real ugly Americans) went to a men's room in Chantilly (we just thought the special plumbing was European style
Which Parapluie is Purloined?Which Parapluie is Purloined?Which Parapluie is Purloined?

I didn't mean to "trade" umbrellas; but somehow I got another man's parapluie! '
unisex). I "lifted" an umbrella with the owner repeating "parapluie" as I walked away with his property (I thought he was teaching me elementary French but he did get to take my higher quality bumbershoot). We all shared in an erroneous assumption when a man that we thought was a Japanese tourist seated near us on the batteau turned out to be an attache to the American Embassy! And, just about everyone got the evil eye and admonishments for touching fruit at a store front produce stands.









There will be random photos after the "jump."


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Embassy AttacheEmbassy Attache
Embassy Attache

A Japanese American embassy attache - we mistook him for a Japanese tourist and thought his idiomatic English was remarkable!
Flower Shop - Left BankFlower Shop - Left Bank
Flower Shop - Left Bank

Much like touching produce; I wasn't supposed to take this photo - c'est domage!
Find Sacre CoeurFind Sacre Coeur
Find Sacre Coeur

We had been warned about pick pockets in the popular and crowded Montmartre neighborhood. Here, with Sacre Coeur in the distance gypsy sellers of Eiffle Tower key chain surrounded one of our group. The other ladies scramed them away. No harm no foul; but you have to take care!
Hop on Hop OffHop on Hop Off
Hop on Hop Off

Our intention was the Hop on Hop off - Batobus; much like a Gray Line Tour with a loop route on the Seine and strategic hop on hop off points like Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. Instead we took the Batteau Mouches out of a quay near Pont Alma which was a better Metro connection from our hotel and another great way to see Paris.
The Liberty BellThe Liberty Bell
The Liberty Bell

With a long layover in Philadelphia a train shuttle to see the Liberty Bell was a nice way to bid adieu to the US.
Clothesline - This worked for me!Clothesline - This worked for me!
Clothesline - This worked for me!

Loved the iron work French balconies and they served a double purpose!


26th October 2012

I really do know how to spell "dictionaries" but I really don't know how to do a good edit once published!
but I really don't know how to do a good edit once published!
26th October 2012

Lots of fun
Having just returned from Turkey I found your foibles funny and sympathized!
26th October 2012

Thanks, Barb
Wow - Turkey - how exotic! Glad you saw yourself in some of the examples - makes me feel better!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb