Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I visited the incredible city of Paris during the long weekend of January 29th through February 2nd. Paris was even more magnificent than I remembered it from my previous. trip. I rode the TGV from Strasbourg, catching the 7:15 am train. We arrived in Paris a few minutes late, but hey, I am not complaining, I am in Paris!!!!




As I walked around the train station in Paris, it was sort of weird. There was really no visible security. As I matter of fact, I walked right up to where several engines for the TGV were parked and a got some nice photos. I have not taken a train in the states for a while. So, perhaps, the security situation is the same there. It was just strange to come and go from the platform to the station and back with no one checking my ticket or passport. Quite relieving, I would say.





I walked from the Gare d'Ouest, which ends up being only a few blocks from Gare du Nord, all the way to my hotel. It took about three hours, but I had several stops along the way.






My first stop was Montmartre, the hill on which the Cathdral of Sacre Coeur rests the fabulous Cathedral This is a huge hill overlooking Paris.




What an beautiful sight!!! It is a glowing white building with unbelievable curves and lines, all drawing the eyes up to the sky. I walked up the hill, up the stairs, past some very aggressive crap sellers and finally into the church.

I must be getting old. I do not remember the climb being that tough before. Of course last time, we took a bus, and I was not carrying a 25 lb backpack!!!




I guess those guys who dress in white and pretend to be statues just never go out of style!!!!





When I finally got inside, it was obvious that there was a Mass being conducted. I must say, when we Catholics do a Mass right, with all the music, ceremony, and outfits, it is quite a sight to behold!!! It is a cross between a Broadway play with the music and choreography and Mardi Gras with the incredible outfits worn by the priests, their supplicants, and the altar boys.






Back home, in Oakville, we don't have Mass like this anymore. Unless you go to a High Mass at a major Cathedral. Oh well. The inside, as you can imagine is just as ornate as the outside.







So, after I visited the inside, I sat down and wrote postcards to my nephew Nick, back in Belleville and my niece Lily in Austin. I would write to Mads as well, but she is a teenager now. They can be pretty sensitive about getting corny postcards from their uncle who drives the Fun Bus!!!







My theme on this particular trip is to write the postcard at the spot of the postcard. So, that way, I can point out where I am in the picture. What can I tell you....I am very easily amused!!!






After leaving Monmartre, I made the long walk to the hotel. Once I got there, I checked in and began my foot journey around this wonderful city.






The walk to the hotel is, of course through the Monmartre neighborhhood. It is a rather interesting collection of sex shops, porn stores, the occasional MacDonalds and, of course, Moulin Rouge.






My wife and I took a bus tour of Paris many years ago. I remember hardly any of this. I guess when you walk everywhere, you see everything. Oh well. At least no one bothers you here, as they do in Frankfurt, Germany.







The first task to accomplish was to get a map and plot out my course. I got one a nice map from the hotel staff and began to look at the sights I wanted to see......WOW!!!! Where to begin???







The first place I had to see, since it was right around the corner, well according to the hotel ad on the internet, was the Arc de triomphe. Well, I don't know about a "few steps" but nonetheless, I was at the Arc in about 12 minutes.







I have been to this monument several times. But, its sheer size shocks me each and every time. It is just massive, sitting perched so magnificently on its small hill at the confluence of about six boulevards. One of course being the Champs Elysees.







Unlike the first time I visited, I realized there is a pedestrain tunnel. So, I headed straight for it. I paid my tarif and after a very long walk up the winding stairs. I found myself in a small museum/gift shop. Are gifts shops everywhere??? I guess that is a Disney legacy.








But, hey, time to write some postcards!!!!! After my break, I got back into the stairwell and continued my ascent. This time it took hardly anytime and I was at the top platform of the Arc looking out at the
surrounding city of Paris.






Wow...everywhere you looked was history. You cannot help but think of all the historical figures that have stood on the very spot you are on and looked at the same sights. Albeit with different motivations and goals. After all, I just want to have fun!!!!!







I wonder if when Napoleon built this monument for his victorious troops, he envisioned a fat middle aged American standing at the top taking vacation pictures.....somehow I doubt it!!






After my sojourn to the Arc, I was off to another sight. But where??? Everything looks so good!!!






So, I decided to just start walking and see where I would end up!!!





It was getting late, so I decided to just walk along the Seine River and make the Cathedral of Notre Dame my destination.





After about a walk of around one hour, I got to the Cathedral. I quickly looked for the medallion in the ground in the front of the church. The last time my wife and I were here, we were told that if you circle this medallion, you guarantee your return to Paris. Hey, it worked once!!! So without looking too much like a dorky tourist, I stealthly walked around the medallion once again. Mary....pack your bags!!!!!






Of course, no trip to Notre Dame is complete until you tour the inside. As luck would have it....entertainment again in church. Just like at Sacre Ceour, another Mass. There were still a lot of people wandering around the sight. I walked around the church, lit a candle, as I had done back at Monmartre. Of course, the Rose Window is spectacular. But this time, I did not bother to take pictures. They never turn out right anyway.







Okay, it looked like I could make it to Napoleons Tomb and still have time to see a VO movie, before I went to bed. When I got to Les Invalides, the doors were just shutting so, I needed to come back the next day.







After hearty emporter of Chinese, I hit the sack. The next morning I had a typical French breakfast of bread and coffee and off I went. My first stop would be the Louvre.







I got there and the crowds were no where to be seen. Perhaps, because the museum would be free the next day, the crowds were smaller today. Regardless, I walked right in, went downstairs, got a map, and started moving once again.








At the Louvre, there are several sights you must see. At least the average guy like me. You visit Mona Lisa, the Coronation of Napoleon, the Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, and a couple more. The rest of the exhibit is the bonus for me.








What a great time I had!!!! I saw all the regular sights....or at least I think I saw the Mona Lisa. They have a rope around the painting that keeps people at least 40 feet away. That was very disappointing. I took a couple long distance photos, but that is all I could manage.







I certainly would not even recommend coming to see the Mona Lisa, simply because it is so far away, you really have no sense of why she is so famous.








I went to see the exhibits from Mesopotamia and they were probably the biggest surprise for me. Much of the artwork, buildings, and/other objects were in pristine condition. Whole walls from the Palace of Darius were there, with paint still decorating the figures. It was truly worth seeing.








Of course, I went to the Egyptian rooms. They were all very nice. But in my opinion once you have seen one thing you cannot read, you have pretty much seen them all. Sorry, all you art appreciation teachers out there.








Sarcophagi are another overblown exhibit. Okay, it is a really cool burial box, with paintings and writings and inscriptions to the world of the dead. I really don't need to see a couple rooms of them. Just bring out your two best, for whatever reason, and I would be happy with that.








Overall, I spent nearly 4 hours in the Louvre. Most of the time, I was in rooms all by myself. It was truly a great day/season to visit this city.
Even in the 4 hours I spent in this incredible place I was only able to visit two galleries. Well, maybe next time I will check out the others.








I was off to see Napoleons Tomb next. I got a tantalizing look at the inside the day before, when the guards informed me...c'est ferme!!! So, now I get to go back and check it out.








All I really wanted to see was the Tomb and my visit there would be complete....or so I figured. Well, I figured wrong. The Tomb and the surrounding rooms, also filled with tombs...what is it with the sarcophagi, anyway???, was sort of blah. I was there for 20 minutes, just to get my money's worth and decided to take off for greener pastures.









Well, the ticket also included a visit to the Army Museum next door. Hesitantly, I gave my ticket to the man and walked through the door. WOW!!! What a neat place!!!






It wasn't even the exhibits, although it was interesting to see the uniforms, the history of weaponry from a French viewpoint and various heavy artillery pieces. The real highlight for me was the plethora of old films and the English subtitles that went along with them. It really reminded me a lot of the Pearl Harbor exhibit as well as the museum at Omaha Beach. The films were just great!!!







It was fascinating to hear why WWI started, from a French view. It was also interesting to see the D-Day Invasion and the aftermath from a point of view other than the American one. The films themselves were well worth the visit. I found myself watching a few films a couple times. They were very educational. This is one musuem, and it is a very small one, that I would recommend.









The rest of the day, I spent walking around through the various quartiers. My goal was to just be out at the major sights at night and get some evening photos. After all, they do call Paris, the City of Lights. I was not disappointed!! Hey, you never know when you may ever get the chance again.
Perhaps never!!!









I got some great pictures of the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de triomphe, and several other landmarks. It is funny. For every "good" picture, I must have taken, and deleted ten "bad" ones. Thank goodness for digital cameras!!









Sunday morning, I was up and at'em early, as usual. My first stop was the Eiffel Tower. From my hotel, it was maybe a 20 minute walk. But, once again, in Paris, who cares about the walk???








I was afraid there might be a line to go to the top, but, holy cow!!! I walked up, bought my ticket, and before I knew it, I was on my way. You actually have to buy a pass to the top. The normal pass takes you to the 2nd Floor. But remember, in France, the 1st Floor is actually the 0 Floor. So, you do the math. Regardless, you need to switch elevators on the 2nd Floor. There, you get into a slightly smaller box.









As you climb, you notice a dramatic narrowing of the Tower. It is actually quite frightening. You start to wonder....exactly how big is this landing at the top? I must say, I was more then a little concerned as the girders began to tighten around the elevator with nothing but air behind them. This cannot be right!!!







I laugh about it now, but at the time, I was a bit nervous. Well, thank goodness. When we got to the top, there was plenty room as the top is a rather large area as it projects away from the structure in all directions. There is actually even a small apartment that Eiffel designed and had built into the top.








Being January in Europe, it was rather nippy out. And it was downright cold at the top. However, that did not keep me from staying for 30 minutes. Once again....when will I ever get the chance to do this again? You just have to jump on opportunties as they arise.








So, I hope you enjoy the photo of the Arc de triomphe. It gives you an idea of how tall the Tower really is.
Actually, it was the tallest structure in the world until 1929, when the Chrysler Building in New York was completed.








Finally, I jumped into the elevator and headed down. On the 2nd Floor, I stopped and walked around. Once again, a much larger area than I expected. There are actually two eating places there. There is a fancy resturant which seemed to be closed at the time and a snack type place with hotdogs. Although Jerry, they cannot touch a Chicago dog!!!! See the picture!! Where is my mustard, steamed bun and neon green relish. Don't forget my pickle either. Well, what are you going to do??





The interesting thing about the Tower is that you can actually walk to the 2nd Floor!!! It is a bit cheaper and, I am here to tell you, it is one heck of a workout!!!!!! I saw many people walking by themselves, with spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends who were probably wondering why they were dating such a cheap guy, and even families with small children. You must be kidding!!!??? How much money could you save???







Although I did walk down the stairs, and I emphasize down the stairs....it is one heck of a long way!!! It must be at least a 25 story walk..at least!!!! At the bottom, I checked out the price to walk...I don't remember exactly, but it was nowhere near low enough to get my fat butt walking up those stairs!!!! Not going to happen!!!!









The rest of my trip was pure, wonderful gravy. By the end of the day, my feet were killing me...and for good reason. I figure I walked at least 23 miles each day I was in Paris. I was on the move from 8 am until 10 pm each day. But what a time I had!!!







I only regret that my wonderful and hot wife, Mary, was not with me for this great adventure!!!! Of course, as I think most people would say...being without those you love is the hardest part of any trip.







That night, after a very interesting meal at a buffet restuarant a block from the Arc de triomphe, I went back to the hotel, set my alarm, and hit the bed.







When I awoke, there was snow everywhere!!! What a blast!!! I got to see Paris in the snow!!! It sure put on a great show for me. How lucky can one guy be!?






I walked, or more like floated, to the train station, Gare d'Ouest. I checked out all the sights I could, one last time??






With the snow and traffic, it took way longer than I predicted. But I still boarded my TGV bound for Strasbourg, my temporary home, with about ten minutes to spare. Before I knew it, we were pulling out of the station and I was discovering how cold, damp, but utterly happy I was to be alive!!!





Once again, please enjoy the photos. I certainly enjoyed taking them!!!!





















Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



16th February 2009

Amazing
This story is amazing. Now I will definitely visit Paris!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb