An intro to Paris & a Visit to Versailles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
May 23rd 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Gorgeous!Gorgeous!Gorgeous!

Inside Versailles, everything is beautiful. This is my favourite room.
Our adventures in Paris....

Got up at 7:20. Went and did my cookie duty- cut up green peppers. Breakfast was egg omelet, toast, bacon, and cereals. We left camp at 8:30 and drove into Paris city centre. Mecha and Simon drove us around to show us the main sites ie: Notre Dam, the Louvre, the main bridges, the Arc d' Triumph (which has the most crazy assed roundabout), where Napolean is buried, the bridge from the finale of Sex in the City, and the Eiffel Tower. There was a lot more and I got to take a lot of photos today!

We headed out to Versailles. Karen, Gloria, Harry, and I waited from 11:15-12:15ish in line to get tickets, then waited in another line until almost 1:00 before we finally came inside. It was so gorgeous inside! So much marble and gold everywhere. I was so excited that you could take photos inside! We had to be back to the coach by 2:15 so we had to move through fairly quickly. Every room was awesome. We got to see the gardens briefly, which is massive and breath taking. We had bought a ticket to see some place of Marie
In the LouvreIn the LouvreIn the Louvre

The glass pyramid!
Antoinette's too but didn't have time.

We got water (3 euros!) and headed to the bus. Then we headed back to the city for a bit more of a tour. At about 3:15 they dropped us off and we could do as we pleased. We had to be back at the bus at 5 so we didn't have much time. Karen and I decided to go to the Louvre since it was close. I was more impressed with the outside of it- got to see the glass pyramids from the DaVinci Code movie. We did, after a bit of searching, find the Mona Lisa. We got to take pictures of her too! Everyone else was doing it, even though there are signs saying you can't. That was pretty much all we did in there. And it was so warm!

The bus brought us back for supper (tortillas!) and then it was back to the city for the Eiffel tower. We were in line for an hour and a half! Guys kept trying to sell us little eiffel tower key chains. They have army guys there too. There was quite a bit of talk of what Mecha had told
Eiffel TowerEiffel TowerEiffel Tower

It's so impressive at night!
us about how many people jump off of the Eiffel Tower every year.

The tower itself is massive and impressive. By the time we got to the front of the line we had to hurry quite a bit. We weren't too concerned since Simon was actually with us, but we were told we had to be back to the bus at 10:30. The elevators were super crowded, but we finally made it to the top of the tower, tried to take some pictures, and then came back down! It was so fast, but we were really concerned we wouldn't make it down in time. Some girls even ran down the stairs!

The view of Paris at night from that high was amazing. Even better, after rushing down to not be late, we still had time to sit and enjoy some champagne, crackers and SUPER cheese. Can you imagine? Sitting in the grass under the Eiffel Tower, sipping on champagne!! How kewl is that???

On the coach ride back there was actually a lot less of us. Turns out quite a few people didn't catch the bus. Some of them weren't very happy about it, too!

We spent some time at the bar, eating leftover cheese and crackers. Yum! I got a jug of beer for 5 euro and then they ran out so I just had one. Karen and I ducked out early to go to the pay phones. I finally got through! Talked to mom and dad. Now its 2:35am! So, time for bed. Its a day in Paris tomorrow and then fancy dinner for us! Sweet.

I love Paris!!! xoxoxo

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb