FRANCE!!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 30th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New FashionNew FashionNew Fashion

Here's the new style coming to Paris for the boys! So it'll be making its way to Canada soon! so watch out boys -this is your futures.
So right now, i'm writing this as there's a crisis occuring in LONDON.
...so yea, they found a bomb (undetonated) in London i believe, and with the Glasglow airport attempted bombing, london/england has gone completely crazy!
and so i jus got news rite now that Heathrow airport has evacuated all the arrivals, and refused to let in any new ppl, and all the ppl that are there, are being pushed out, or sumthing like that. and since today, we've been receiving new students that's totally delayed all arrivals.
and so we're all here in the office waiting for a group of spanish kids to appear, but as of yet, nothing.
zzz...

SO:
Paris!
We fly into paris, and we then get VERY lost on the metro because of the crazy amont of lines, stops and added pain of the RER train system (which is printed right onto the metro map & only distinguishable from the normal metro line if you squint your eyes and notice that the RER lines are drawn just slightly thicker than the metro lines.) bahh..
we FINALLY get to our hotel, and practice a bit of our choppy grade 12 level french with the receptionist, which
mmmmm.......mmmmm.......mmmmm.......

i love pastry shops...yummmmmm.... salivating...mm..
i don't think impressed her very much... oops.

When we head to our assigned room, we realize that to get to our rooms, we have to journey up 5, yes, 5, flights of narrow, steep, rickety, lop-sided, winding, and oh yea, did i mention, FIVE floors worth of stairs. And of course, if you haven't already figured out, with NO elevators!!
so after walking what seemed like a trek up mount everest, we finally stumble into our room, only to our dismay, finding a tiny double bed for both Ruby and I to share...
so to ease the suspense, i'll fast forward a little to what happened that night while sharing a teeny bed with ruby, because i'm sure you're all just dying to know!
Basically, i get hit in the head at least 3 times by Ruby's flailing arms, and i get kneed from behind because Ruby seems to like to sleep in a diagonal fashion. All this equals up to a JOLLY GOOD SLEEP. sarcasm.
OKAY, rewind, and back to what happened during the day, before the hideous sleeping session.
So after speaking the the receptionist some more (to save us from any further butchering of her
gah..gah..gah..

yes. 5 flights of stairs. u can\'t even see the bottom. this is what we treked up every single day - possibly even 3 times everyday. it was a mission each time.

language, we speak in English.), Ruby goes to shower (because we smell. seriously), and i go to explore! - bathing is clearly not a priority of mine on this trip...

After discovering that we have to share a toilet, which is a squatting toilet (toilet is there. seat, is not.), i walk to the Louvre, which is just a quick 10 minute walk from my building!
On the way there ,i pass a few amazing pastry shops, FILLED with tarts, and chocolate goodies, and just everything under the sun that could possible make your mouth fill with saliva.
When i get to the Louvre, i walk in, and i'm immediately amazed. Because unlike Venice, where all the buildings you see in pictures already, you get a little bored after seeing it in person, in Paris, in the Louvre, even though i've seen dozens of pictures of the glass pyramids, it's all completley different when you're actually there, up close to these pyramids and surrounded by the Louvre itself!
I stared there for a good 20 minutes, and just marveled at everything around me!
I never imagined the pyramids to be so large, but there they were standing in
yay!yay!yay!

The biggest glass pyramid in the Louvre! it's surrounded by three smaller ones and big fountains! soo pretty!
front of me, and i couldn't take my eyes off them!
I hurridly run back to the hotel to grab Ruby, and we make our way to the Louvre, where we have a nice photo-op, then head off towards the Eiffel Tower. On the way, we walk through the Jardin de Tulleries, which is one of the most famous gardens in Paris. As we entered, we noticed a plaque saying that the Jardin de Tulleries was protected by the heritage foundation because it is a "benefit to all humanity."
So, of course, ruby and i were both like, "hey, if it's a benefit to all humanity - man, it must be great!", we stroll in ready to be amazed and awed by this Garden, expecting little leprechauns dancing ontop of pots of gold (afterall, it's supposed to benefit all of humanity - what else fits that role better than dancing leprechauns and gold!?)
we saw:
- green grass
- a bunch of statutes
- a big fountain
- more green grass.
- trees
- hedges
- even more green grass.
and that was it. that was it! ...THAT'S supposed to benefit ALL humanity!? well, to be fair, they had pretty
Benefit to all humanity.Benefit to all humanity.Benefit to all humanity.

the grass, she is green.
damn good green grass. i guess humanity can all appreciate green grass?
we were more or less a little disappointed.

we then continue our stroll out of the miracle garden, and we take a rest and just stare at the view around us!
and side note, although ruby doesn't want me to mention this, pftt, when have i ever listened to her!? ruby gets hit on again. --> geez louise. self esteem is pretty damn low by now!

After running away from sketchy guys, we continue our stroll, and jus find random little things that we have fun at and stare at! we walk down one of the major street leading to the Arc de Triomphe, and it was filled with stores!
so we had some fun browsing (because everything is so damned expensive we couldn't afford anything!).
When we get to arc de triomphe, we have another photo-op, but once again, the arc de triomphe ended up being for me just the same as the venice buildings were. it looked like the photos. so i was just semi-amazed.
We attempted to get under the arc de triomphe, but we couldn't seem to find the pathway to it!
Idiotic picture #1Idiotic picture #1Idiotic picture #1

I tried to position ruby in front of the fountain so that she looked like she was shooting water outta her nose.....

it seemed to be just an island surrounded by roads filled with cars waiting to kill ya!
so we basically walked around the whoooollleeeeeeee round-about trying to find some sort of pathway so that we could go up close ot the arc de triomphe (which we knew HAD to exist because there were other tourists all close to it and taking photos of it), so after a bit of walking, we decided to give up, and convinced ourselves that this phantom pathway did not exist, and these ppl were just somehow flown to the arc de triomphe. later, after telling this sad story to my england co-workers, found out that there was a simple underground pathway that we could have just taken to get to the arc de triomphe. great.


We then made our way to the Eiffel Tower. We hung around just chilling and taking fun Eiffel Tower pics. We then journeyed up!

and looked down.
and took pictures.

so yea, as you can see, it's pretty much been 4 weeks since i left paris.
and i reallllyyyyyy can't even force myself to write anymore
hahah, and since i'm waaayy too busy doing my England
Idiotic Photo #2Idiotic Photo #2Idiotic Photo #2

...but then it never worked - so i gave up, and just decided to take a pic, unbeknowst to ruby, of how much of an idiot she looked like to ppl passing by.
job...i'm jus gonna say the following things.

-Paris was fun.
-Paris ppl like to ppl watch. a lot, cuz at every cafe/pub, all the outdoor seating is arranged so that when you sit down, you will always be facing out to the sidewalk, and you will never find another person sitting in front of you.
-Grade 12 french doesn't do crap when you're in paris.
-mona lisa is SO overrated.
-Ruby spent 1.5 hours in the Louvre (thus making her the world's least cultured person.)
- we went shopping in an area we thought was the cool shopping/university town area, but ended up being the sex street of paris. we thought that the scantily-clad middle-aged women who were standing at the street corners wearing hooker boots and smoking, were just simpy milfs who liked smoking outside. we didn't really smart up about that until we saw the 10th woman we saw doing that. then we thought, "hey. maybe they're hookers." then got grossed out.
- went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, i wasn't too impressed. wasn't that great inside. was too touristy. the gift shop was actually IN the cathedral. pu-leaze.
- I want to go to Paris again.

so there you go! ruby&my backpacking trip finally finished after so long!!
hope you guys enjoyed the blogging!
i'll blog more bout england when i have tiem! but yea, england so far, as stressful as the job is, is really fun!!
and i'm having a great time! =D

i hope everyone is doing well back at home!!

byeess

luv less



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Scooter crazy! Scooter crazy!
Scooter crazy!

Like all of Europe, the motorcycle/scooter is a verrrrryy popular form of transport!
Attempting to be a good photographer.Attempting to be a good photographer.
Attempting to be a good photographer.

I swear, there were just baguettes sitting on the side of the street. So french.
oooooooooooo
oooooo

We spent ages doing this.
oooooo aaahhhoooooo aaahhh
oooooo aaahhh

and when i mean ages, i MEAN AGES. it's like i facebook poked the eiffel tower! ah-ha. ah-ha. ah-ha.
Top of EiffelTop of Eiffel
Top of Eiffel

To prove we made it ALlllll the way to the top of eiffel, here's the sign at the top..
sooo cute...sooo cute...
sooo cute...

from the top of the eiffel, made me sooo happy when i saw it!!
Paris @ NightParis @ Night
Paris @ Night

From top of eiffel! That's the Arc De Triomphe lit up!
First and only water fountain we found during our eurotrip!First and only water fountain we found during our eurotrip!
First and only water fountain we found during our eurotrip!

It is still questionable whether or not it was actually a water fountain fit for drinking...it said something like l'eau potable...and we figured it'd be alrite. ... i'm not sick yet.
yummmmyummmm
yummmm

everything comes in the form of a baguette. i ordered a hot dog, and it came as a baguette, smothered in cheese. oh yea, the french like their cheese.
Attempting to be a creative photographer yet again.Attempting to be a creative photographer yet again.
Attempting to be a creative photographer yet again.

Random photo inside the Notre Dame
Notre DameNotre Dame
Notre Dame

The gift shop is built right inside the notre dame. ruins everything.


13th July 2007

no comment
Yo, looks like fun man. I want to blow water out of my nose so I can be cool too. I really like the part when you put everything into jot note form, made it very easy to read, and it was very much appreciated.. haha okay.. don't stop the blogging here, you gotta keep going, I must find out what other advantures you have, haha alright gotta jet miss yah
15th July 2007

Les, I enjoyed your blog very much, , the content and pictures really made me laugh, even though I traveled to Paris only three years ago, I never noticed some of the things you mentioned in your blog, what a refreshing view of things. Please keep on writing whenever you are not exhausted from your job.Love you lots.
18th July 2007

u do know what MILF means right?.... anyways u didn't see the big ferris wheel at the louvre (the outside part)?? man u must be blind :P

Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 15; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb