Pardon, non fron-say


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 20th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Two days in Paris, and I thought we walked a lot in London!!!!!!

Population: 2.15 million. Timezone, Greenwich plus 1 hour.

Well it all started with an early morning wake up call and short 30 min trip on the tube to Heathrow Airport. Wow, you don't actually appreciate how organised Melboure Airport really is until you have been to the UK and Europe. Lining up to check-in at Heathrow, there were only about 10 people infront of us. It took us 30 minutes to get to the check-in counter and get our boarding passes!!!! And don't get me started on Paris. We waited about 20 minutes at the baggage area to get our luggage from the plane (he he he and it was only 1 small bag- the most important of all - the toiletry bag. Yes girls, I could not believe it myself, but it is do-able. You can pack for a weekend in a hand luggage bag!!). That 20 minutes would have had to have been the longest of my life. I was soooo anxious to get out there and start exploring Paris. Anyway, enough winging, it wasn't as bad as it seems. Actually, it does not sound that bad at all.

Now, the best part - describing Paris. Situated on the banks of the river Seine. Well, what can I say. It was as beautiful as I imagined it to be and more. When we arrived, the heavens opened up and the sun was shining. Looking up, I was blinded by the bright blue colour of the sky shining down on me. Wow - what a place to be.

First stop, St James Hotel & Spa.

Standing out the front of our hotel and peering through the trees, we were able to catch a glimpse of our first destination, the Eiffel Tower. Walking through the park across from our hotel and next to the Louvre, we found a typical Parisan cafe. After scoffing down our crepes and coffee, we started our big trekk through the city.

Trekking towards the tower, it was hard to see what the fuss was about. From a distance it just looked like another large satellite tower from back home. BUT, as you draw nearer and nearer, the tower takes you in, and once the whole tower is in view, it takes your breath away. This would have to be the ultimate image to see in Paris. Built in 1889, the tower was meant to be demolished in 1909 but by the need of a radio tower, it was saved. From this day forward I would have to say it is one of their biggest tourist earners yet (next to Disneyland of course). I bet there are no regrets!!

Our best achievement on this day was walking to the second level of the tower, 570 steps up of the amazing 320 metre high structure. After a lot of steps we then earnt our short trip to the top in a lift where the view is like one out of an aircraft. This is where we spent half of our day.

One of the great things about Paris is that the majority of its attractions are within walking distance of each other. But, in order for us to take in as much of Paris as we could in a weekend, we took the tube. The public transport is excellent. The trains are frequent and very reliable.

During our trip, the attractions we visited were:
- The Eiffel Tower
- Arc de Triomphe
-Champs Elysées
-The Louvre
-Notre Dame Cathedral
-Basilque du Sacré Coeur (Basillica of the Sacred Heart) - where we got to experience a local festive market to celebrate the beginning of the Christmas season.

On our only night in Paris, we decided to dine at a restaurant with a 'french' cuisine. So after taking in the sights we strolled down a street with a strip of restaurants, checking what each of the restaurants had to offer and chose one that offered the famous 'french snails'. The dish, as shown below, was served as an entreé (for Brian) and the sauce which was dyed green (I believe for the tourists) made it seem all the more less appertising. As this was served a huge grin broke across my face. I could not believe that anyone would even consider eating such a thing, but we thought it would be wrong to leave without eating the local cuisene. So Ladies and Gentleman, we both tried 'snails', that's one more thing to cross off the list of experiences.

With full bellie's and empty wallets we set off to see a few sights around the town, starting with the Arc de Triomphe. As you can see from the photos below, during the day it is beautiful, and at night its magnificent. The detail that is through it is amazing. We also visited the Notre Dame. As you can see from the photos, it is also quite a site to look at in the evening. We also checked this out the next day, in the daylight.

Sunday morning started with a sleep in (accidently of course). The Louvre was the first sight we went to, seeing as though it was only minutes from our hotel. Knowing how large it was inside and that it would take hours to go through it all, we decided to just have a look around the entrance and take a few snaps.

From the Louvre, we headed to the Basilque du Sacré Coeur. Walking down the old streets in this part of town was great. There were hardly any tourists and we passed a lot of yummy smelling patisseries with one in particular that had a huge queue out the front door. Nearing this church, we walked down some old beautiful quiet streets. As we entered the village, we stumpled across a Christmas market which was being held we think to celebrate the commencment of the christmas season. Because this was a non-tourist "local" market, Brian and I thought it would be a good opporunity to taste the local food and drink (mulled wine which they serve hot - like a coffee and has hints of clove and spices in it!!). In this village, no-one spoke a word of english so all of our orders were placed by pointing to things and using our fingers (no not for obsenities) but to tell them how many we wanted.

Amongst this picturesque village, right in the centre of it, was an artists square. This is where all of the local artists meet and set-up shop every Sunday to show off their talents. Here you will find all the local artists paintings on show and you can even pay and have an artists paint/sketch their impression of you while you sit there.

The Basilque du Sacré Coeur is situated on one of the only hills in Paris. From the front steps of this church, you have one of the best free views of Paris and the Eiffel Tower. And what makes it even better is the fact that you have this view minus the massive crowds and queues from the Eiffel Tower.

Walking through the Basilque du Sacré Coeur was amazing. The murals and architecture was just unbelievable. Unfortunately we do not have any photos of what the inside looks like as it is not allowed, so you will just have to take our word for it on just how beautiful it really was inside. Sadly at each entrance of the churches in this village were children begging and moaning for money with their hands stretched out. This was an awful site to see, but we had been warned to not give them any money, as once you give it to one, you will be mugged by all!

A second trip was taken back to the Eiffel Tower, to pick up a few little goodies that were forgotten the day before and to also have a second (actually more like millionth) glance and take a few more photos (Brian got fixated on the tower!!! Everywhere we went in Paris, Brian would turn around and say "Hey that would be a great photo opportunity, and before you know it, click click"). Next stop - on the way to the Notre Dame was a coffee shop for a little rest after a very busy few days. We both were really looking forward to a very enjoyable coffee and well deserved rest. After a moments rest, we re-visited the Notre Dame in daylight for a few extra photo opportunities.

So after about 20 trains, or more, many killometres in our legs, plenty of standing around in awe, and almost 100 photos, our trip to Paris was just about over. With the trip to Charles De Gouille Airport ahead of us we had a look at the last few souvineer shops before heading to the Metro to start our Journey home.


Well folks, we hope you enjoyed the journey as much as we did. Until the next adventure, bye for now.

Luv & kisses to all,
Lauran & Brian XXXXX









Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The Entrance to Notre DameThe Entrance to Notre Dame
The Entrance to Notre Dame

"It's a tribute to the men who built it"
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

One for all those Da Vinci code fans
Exploring the streets of ParisExploring the streets of Paris
Exploring the streets of Paris

Just keep walking, we're not really lost!!!


26th November 2006

Amazing
Wow! The pictures look amazing, glad it was everyything you expected and more. Mum and Dad come over today (Sunday) to have a look, they thought it was great too. Talk soon, Love, James Family
26th November 2006

WOW!!!!! the photos look awsome!!! l am very jealous and wish l was there, it sounds like you are having a great time. and .....Brian what were you thinking about ....eating those snails?? l have never seen anything more disgusting in my life. It looked like they had gotten kermet the frog and squished him all over your plate!! didnt look very appetising at all, blah. Looking forward to the next entry. Take care. Suzi
27th November 2006

What a weekend!!!!
You must have had a fantastic time by the sound of things, and the pictures are fantastic. Did you both turn green after eating those snails ???? Must admit they looked interesting. Lots of love from Mum. XXXXXXXXX
27th November 2006

It seems you are both having a wonderful time. But please, next time you're in Paris, and I'm sure you'll revisit, you must see inside(!) the Louvre. Paris offers, yes the Eiffel tower, and one of the finest art galleries of the world. Please see it. Look forward to the next installment. All the best.

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb