Loire valley cycle, day 4 - Chinon to Azay-le-Rideau


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Chinon
September 9th 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful blue sky morning, we cycled up the hill towards the chateau in Chinon, and then onwards to Chateau Usse for a glimpse. Hills. Forest. Farms. Sunflowers. Hills. Sweat. Low gear.

Usse was behind tall walls and and entry fee we didn't like. The cycle from Usse finally took in some river views, as we followed a narrow two lane road along the banks to Langeais. It felt like a cycle road with occasional cars that looked so out of place. At Langeais, the rain hit. Langeais itself is understated, but impressive in the old details and furnishings. By the time we emerged, the sky was clearing and we had clear skies all the way to Villandry and to Azay-le-Rideau.

Villandry's gardens really are worth visiting, for the fact that it is a producing garden, one you would want yourself. The beautiful plots were filled with bountiful chard, cabbages, purple basil, kale, and fruiting apple and pear trees. The arbored walkways were dense with grape vines with bunches in various states of ripeness, begging to be sampled, and you do. Even the wall facing the garden, upon closer inspection, wasn't just ivy, but grapes, and all of my pictures were pictures of my desire for all the succulent fruit out of reach.

Then a winding hilly approach to Azay-le-Rideau, and my introduction to the wonderful hot chevre salad, with melty chevre on toast, greens with a mild dressing, toasted walnuts, and tomato slices.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

VillandryVillandry
Villandry

basil and cabbages and kale, oh my
VillandryVillandry
Villandry

I want those apples


31st March 2009

Gardens of the Loire
Nice I really enjoyed Villandry ! Next to chinon you can also check out the chateau du Rivau (www.chateaudurivau.com), the gardens are amazing !

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb