Loire valley cycle, day 3 - Saumur to Chinon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Pays-de-la-Loire » Saumur
September 8th 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Awoke at 8 am to dim light. The river had spawned a mist that obscured the sun and any view of the river. We had leisurely tea and croissants in the camp cafe, then up a steep climb to the Saumur chateau with amazing views of the river valley. Then onwards towards Champigny and beyond to Abbaye de Fontevraud. We passed through rolling hills of old yellow sunflowers, rows of vineyards, and wooded lanes. Up and down, up and down, but all at a relaxed pace.

The Abbaye was beautiful, and you could wander the halls and get lost in them at your own pace. The kitchen was fantastical, but was sadly empty and gave no hint of it's previous life except for long cylindrical chimneys. A surprise in one corner of the estate was an animation exhibit celebrating France's own Grimault, as well as Takahashi and Miyazaki.

On the approach to Chinon, there was a supermarket o' plenty, which satisfied all of our fruit, biscuit and sweet needs. Apparently our campground, Ile Auger, is replete with English retirees on route to Spain for the winter. What a brilliant way to live - I guess they've paid with the rest of their lives in rain and wind.

Old town Chinon is really enchanting, with posh restaurants to boot. We sat outside with the view of the moon and castle and spent 25 euro each on overpriced food and loved it.





Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb