What a glorious day for a drive down France to Mehun-sur-Yevre.. thought this was Winter !


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Bourges
February 25th 2022
Published: February 25th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Glorious weather for a motorhome drive. Left one canalside spot and drove to another 300 miles further south.

We used the autoroute for 2/3rd of the way, mainly because we were heading via Paris and autoroute,even with the tolls, is really the only way to do that. Even so a pleasure to be on a French autoroute again as there is so much more road per person / vehicle here in France and therefore a lot more open road. Also they really do handle road works so much better. No 40 mph limits for 5 miles before a 2 mile stretch of roadworks. In France there is a warning sign a mile away then a lane closure maybe and speed down to 60 and you are out the other side. Hghways England really should investigate best practices overseas !
Traffic heavier as we got nearer to Paris and Bob really had to concentrate to make sure we took the right lane when we neared junctions but he did it and then we did a few kilometres on the periphique and we were out of the south of the City and heading to Orleans. We took an N road instead of the autoroute but it was still a fast dual carriageway and we returned to the autoroute to get round the traffic mayhem of Orleans which we remembered from other visits. Then onto normal pleasant N roads which go through towns and villages and we were so happy to be back in France.

Stopped at a boulangerie and bought a baguette and a patisserie (of course) and then on to our stopping spot for the night. Bob had chosen one at Vierzon but I found one with nicer reviews 10 miles further along at Mehun-Sur-Yevre so we went there instead and i was relieved to find it really is a very pleasant spot. Canal side, peaceful and free again. We are using an app called Park4night to find the stopping spots as not using campsite because there are so few open yet. No electric hook up so having to make sure we charge things up as we drive along so we don't drain the leisure battery too much.

Hard to beleive we were concerned the weather would make the trip difficult. Even Storm Gladys which we were warned about in England for Thursday didn't materialise and today has just been a pretty lovely day.

Only mishaps so far : 1. accidentally drove away from the laybye where we stopped for lunch leaving our perfect outdoor step behind....oooops

2. Whistling kettle handle fell off.. the one we use on gas when travelling. We use an electric one when hooked up.

Heading another 300 miles further south in France tomorrow but I will be taking a stroll to the boulangerie round the corner before breakfast for a fresh baguette. What a treat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb