Fort La Latte - Discovery of Bretagne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany
August 25th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We initially thought to take a walk along the coast from the lighthouse to the castle. Given the hot temperature at this time of the day, we decided to take the car which was a sensible decision. We drove back near the entrance where there is a free parking place! I have been struggling to park the car myself since I began to drive this massive ship. I have even failed to reverse the car without asking A to step out to have a look behind. It is a very awkward situatioin for me, but I was dare not to damage the car. Despite having difficulties to judge from the driving seat, I finally parked within two parking space.

I am sure that nobody will notice this since we were far end of the car park. Out of the door, we only had to walk a couple of meters to be in front of an ice cream parlour, we find it very handy at this time.

Before walking down the track, we had two cornets of ice cream which was merely a very little satisfaction to our thirst.

We took our time to visit the Fort La Latte. Fort La Latte is located at the end of the cliff, which is not a massive one compare to what we saw in Dinan.

"Roche Goyon" draws its name from one of the oldest Breton Families. According to what we over heard from a tourist guide, Alain Barbe-Torte would have built a former castle in 937. After many wars and destruction, in 1925 it was named as a historic interest in the region and hence Fort La Latte has been restored since then.

We had a look around the rampart, with full of other people. It was a tiny place to hold this number of people at one stage.

The most interesting historic monument in this fort is the oven dated back to 1793 (Le four à boulet) which was once upon a time, used to heat the cannon balls before shooting at enemy targets.

I found easy to climb the keep, the tower of dungeon, in spite of Nanu was dangling herself while holding a thick rope which is provided to hold while climbing up.

We went back to the little chapel to take a couple of photos.

The sun was getting down far over the horizon, we set ourselves back to Little Paradise.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb