Visit to Saint-Cast-Le-Guildo.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Saint-Cast-le-Guildo
September 8th 2010
Published: September 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

St-Cast-le-GuildoSt-Cast-le-GuildoSt-Cast-le-Guildo

Sleepy seaside town
Rained all night, pitter patter on the roof. When it stopped, at 8am, the absence of the sound was so odd that it woke us up !
Had a think about whether to move to Plan M (whatever version we are up to now), or to carry on regardless. We checked the online weather forecasts, as the wifi on this super campsite is excellent, but didn’t like what we saw. Sensibly we then chose the old fashioned way of checking and looked outside. Rain clouds cleared leaving a rather nice blue sky.
Decision made. Stay here one more night as planned but from next stop, Honfleur, go straight to Calais and home one day early.
We dressed for rain, taking our mac-in-a-sacs and walked the mile down into the town of Saint-Cast-Le-Giuldo. Had a wander around this quite attractive but now sleepy little seaside town and stopped for coffee. Walked along the lovely expanse of sandy beach with a promenade behind. Then time for lunch which had to be Galettes of course as we are in Brittany and they are our favourites. Slight detour while I searched for my jacket which had slid off my handbag and become camouflaged with the ground. We both walked past it twice before I suddenly spotted it, hiding there.
From the resort we walked round to the port. This has been completely revamped very recently and at obviously great expense. First of all a walkway has been built right round the cliff face at the back of the beach which is wonderful, is lit, and forms a very pleasant link between the town and the harbour.
The port is superbly done with new floating pontoons in a beautiful, almost architectural arrangement. Liked it very much.
We decided to go the long way back to the campsite, round the coastal path and had a really lovely walk along the cliff tops. Past a couple of beautiful, almost deserted sandy beaches. On the rocks we could see people digging or whatever they do to get their mussels. We can spot them now. They always wear wellies and carry big garden forks and small plastic buckets.
Got back to the campsite mid afternoon after walking about 4 miles in all and then went straight for a swim to cool down. The lovely big heated swimming pool was empty apart from us so completed a good day of exercise with 20 lengths. Probably the last swim we will have for a while.
Just back in the Tandy and the heavens opened. Same time as yesterday. Today though, it cleared up again so we did get to see the sunset.
This is another absolutely first class campsite. Lovely sea views from two sides and the hedges round the site are bursting with birds, not surprising as there are berries in profusion everywhere.
We really have done very well this trip for excellent campsites and like all the areas of Brittany, which we have visited, very much.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

St-Cast-le-GuildoSt-Cast-le-Guildo
St-Cast-le-Guildo

View from the walkway back to the promenade
St-Cast-Le-GuildoSt-Cast-Le-Guildo
St-Cast-Le-Guildo

Superb walkway connecting the town with the harbour
St-Cast-le-guildoSt-Cast-le-guildo
St-Cast-le-guildo

New and very well done harbour
Plage de la MarePlage de la Mare
Plage de la Mare

View from our cliff top coastal walk
Plage de la PissottePlage de la Pissotte
Plage de la Pissotte

View from the coastal walk
Plage de la FresnayPlage de la Fresnay
Plage de la Fresnay

This one taken from our campsite. Sandy beach only at low tide. When the tide is in there is only water. This is the same bay as seen in the sunset shot when the tide covers it.
Sunset from our campsite on the cliff topSunset from our campsite on the cliff top
Sunset from our campsite on the cliff top

The sea filled bay to the left is the sandy Plage de la Fresnay shown above (when the tide was out)


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb