Visit to Bourdeilles. Lovely spot on the river.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Brantome
June 24th 2023
Published: July 9th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Had a choice of directions to explore the area but settled for Bourdeilles 10km away as it promised a chateau.

As it happened we didn’t actually visit the chateau itself.

Drove down the narrow road through the village to the river and found a parking spot then went across a bridge to the other side of the river. What can I say but it really was a wonderful spot to sit and watch the world, or more precisely, the river go by.

Just such a beautiful peaceful spot. The bridge is ancient, vaulted and arched and the river so pretty. Much clearer water here than at the campsite where it is quite brown which could be accounted for by the boats which go up and down there.

We sat down to admire the view across the water to a weir and the chateau and actually sat for quite a long time. Bob, lucky thing, spotted a kingfisher from his bench as I was at the water’s edge looking in the opposite direction so missed it.
We went under one of the arches and walked along the river. We met a couple who had cycled there from our campsite and they know the place well. They said that in July and August the river here is a very popular spot with the locals. Not for our visit fortunately, just a lovely peaceful spot which we enjoyed.

Back across the bridge we went along the river up to the chateau and admired it from the outside but didn’t bother with a visit. Then contemplated where to go next and settled on lunch in Brantome and then another lazy afternoon at the campsite and pool.

Brantome looked completely different without the market stalls. The Market area had reverted to a car park instead. We found a café by the river and had lunch, then a stroll through the streets in search of a patisserie. I have been somewhat deprived of lovely French patisseries this trip as for some reason we have not come across many. Sadly failed to find one that was open so had to be content with an ice cream.
Then back to the campsite and a swim in the pool.

From tomorrow we will be on the homeward bound part of the trip, slowly making our way north and driving every day.

We really have enjoyed this superb campsite at Brantome which was not even on the original plan. As usual we have detoured a little from the plan which Bob drew up at home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb