Europe in Autumn: Part 1 Bordeaux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
September 29th 2007
Published: October 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bordeaux


Bordeaux at street levelBordeaux at street levelBordeaux at street level

Cafe, coblestones, maple trees...
This Autumn we fulfilled one of our dream holidays by visiting Frances’ southern wine growing region of Bordeaux…during the Rugby World Cup! Australia vs Canada was the game we were to see but we thought whilst there, why not see the sights and taste test the produce?

On our first evening in Bordeaux we found ourselves wandering the streets gazing at the historic buildings, narrow laneways and grand churches in search of the perfect first meal in France. We found it at an outdoor restaurant looking onto one of the numerous atmospheric squares (place de something-or-other!) in Bordeaux after checking out a local wine bar. The cliché of good French food is one stereotype that we’re pleased to report is actually true, unlike the reputation of all French people being rude and unwilling to communicate in English. We found Bordeaux locals to be incredibly helpful, friendly and with a small attempt from our part to use some limited (and quite terrible) French, very willing and able to assist.

After visits to the various wine regions right around Australia, we couldn’t miss the chance to investigate what makes French wine among the world’s finest. Bordeaux vineyards stretch for 500,000 acres over both hilly and flat ground. We had a great day and were treated to a variety of art, including painting and sculpture along the way and even tried some grapes straight from the vine. The varieties grown are specific and the barrelling procedures time honoured resulting in top quality vin.

On the day of the match, it felt like the entire city had been taken over by Australians (and some Canadians of course) as the streets were filled with yellow jerseys and dry accents. In a small café with walls lined with freshly baked bread and home made conserves we enjoyed French breakfast fare complete with coffee served in small bowls. It only rained for three hours during our three days in Bordeaux. Unfortunately, those three hours coincided with the Australia vs Canada match for which we had outdoor seats! Not to let the rain dampen our spirits we stuck it out and cheered the Wallabies to yet another (and as it turned out- their last) 2007 World Cup victory over a spirited Canadian team.

We dried off and treated ourselves to one last French meal complete with foie gras (the enlarged fatty liver of a force fed goose), followed by drinks with fellow Wallabies supporters and some Canadians we met on the wine tour the previous day.

Our first experience of France was wonderful and it seemed all too soon that we had to get on a train bound for Germany for the next leg of our adventure…



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Chateau in Bordeaux wine regionChateau in Bordeaux wine region
Chateau in Bordeaux wine region

The steel post at the front of the chateau is one of the owner's many pieces of 'art'!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb