Catching up with the Jones in Biarritz


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Biarritz
June 28th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

June 6th, we left bustling Barcelona for the beaches of Biarritz, France. The turned from urban buildings to lush mountainous landscapes as we rove though the border of the Pyrenes mountains. We arrived late evening to warm greeting from our friends who had prepared a meal for us. We caught up over a glass of French wine before retreating our cozy bedroom in the lovely flat that we spent the next four days enjoying.

June 7th, we got up early to visit the local market. It was just a few blocks from the flat. We entered the indoor market to find rows and rows of delicious cheeses, meats, fresh fruit, vegetables and wine (of course). We were spoilt for choice, which made planning dinner our biggest challenge of the day (I know you don’t feel any sympathy). We entered the second building and found a seafood market with abundant options. We selected some fresh fish filets that we cooked paired with haricots verts (green beans) with bacon, barley rice and some nice white wine. After picking up some amazing cheeses, baguettes and a chocolate croissant we left the market to explore the beachfront. We walked along the cobblestone streets lined by colorful gardens of hydrangeas on one side and dramatic rock formations on the beaches on the other. Biarritz is an upscale resort town with dramatic scenery, and streets lined with charming French buildings housing beautiful cafes and boutiques. We enjoyed exploring and could imagine it even more beautiful with nice sunny weather. John and Emery went surfing for most of the day and caught some fun but messy waves. There is a big surfing community and many people were in the water. The guys made some local friends and got tips on the best spots to surf over the next days. Laura and I took the kids to see the seals at the marine aquarium. It was a small museum on five different levels. I got a good understanding of the challenges moms face everyday with things I don’t even think about. Laura had the kids in a dual stroller which was not only challenging to navigate in the small crowded museum but also difficult to carry up and down the stairs with two little ones in tow. We made it happen but it was quite an exhausting day. We finished with a nice fish dinner and some good conversation that evening.

June 8th, we all went to the market together in the morning and picked out some goodies for lunch and dinner. The guys surfed early and met us in the afternoon to go to another beach with a big park for the kids to place. It was a beautiful place but a super windy day. So we peaked at the beach and headed for the park. As we were all playing it started pouring rain. We headed back to the house and Laura made a beautiful dinner with fresh pasta, salad and of course cheese, baguettes and wine.

June 9th, was our last full day with the Jones. The guys surfed and Laura and I took the kids to explore the beautiful Saint Jean de Luz. We walked along the seaside, had some lunch at a café and spent some time at the beach. It was finally a sunny day (the last day of course). Laura and I got some sun, Lovela had fun running from the waves at the shore break and Sebastian ate fistfuls of sand. It was a great time for all. That night the Jones had an early birthday dinner for me with tasty French crepes. It was the perfect end to a special time with good friends.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb