Grand Ballon


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace
August 11th 2013
Published: August 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday August 11 2013 - Last night we talked about heading to the alps for the day, but never really made a good plan, so it seemed unlikely at best. By noon today, it was clear that wasn't going to happen, but we did make it out of the house actually. This is a huge improvement, as we tend to be the laziest people in the world on the weekends. Traveling, we are golden. At home, we become hermits with sloth-like tendencies. Jeroen thought it would be a good idea to drive to the Grand Ballon area, the tallest mountain in the Alsace in France. It is only an hour and a half from where we live, and yet I had never heard of it. Not surprising, as I have never heard of much around where I live, no matter where I live. I tend to research far off places in some complex scheme, rather than find the cool places around the house. This will hopefully change. We took our time getting there, stopping along the way and enjoying the nice weather. We watched the temperature drop a bit as we got further and further up the mountain, and by the time we got there, I was the only one in flip flops. Everyone else had their hiking boots on. Not my best shoe choice, but as a Floridian living in Switzerland, you gotta wear the flip flips for as many days per year as you can make it last. And the walking was actually pretty easy going. We had some beautiful weather, and I had a steak for lunch. A good day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



12th August 2013

When we lived in Stuttgart, Germany, upon waking up on a Saturday morning with blue skies...
we would immediately jump in our car and head for Switzerland. It took us about 4 hours (for you it would be 165 km or less than 2 hours) to get to our favorite destination, Steckelberg at the end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the base of the Jungfrau, Monck, Eiger and Schilthorn. Now those are proper mountains with fantastic trails leading in every direction through alpine meadows. So don't miss out on your local sights!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb