Vienna and Prague!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Mulhouse
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!!

Just got back to France this morning. It's so nice to be back in France and hear a language I know and understand again!! We had a great trip in Vienna and Prague.

Friday evening Franzi and I left for our 5 day adventure to Vienna and Prague. We had an overnight train from Mulhouse to Zurich and then switched trains and headed to Vienna. The train from Zurich to Vienna was nice and I tried to sleep most of the night. We arrived in Vienna around 8:30 in the morning. It was so chilly when we arrived! We first headed to our hostel to check in and drop off our stuff since our room wouldn't be ready until after 2pm. We headed into town and walked around the the city. We found out we were in Vienna for their National Holiday so there was a lot going on in the center.
Around 1:30pm we headed back to our hostel and settled into our room. We stayed at Wombat's City Hostel: The Base and I recommend it to everyone who is ever looking for a nice and cheap place to stay in Vienna. Everyone who worked there was very helpful and nice.
After we settled into our room we headed out on the metro to the Schonnbrunn Palace. We walked around the Palace grounds for about an hour and a half, and walked up the hill where we had a very nice view of the Palace and all of Vienna. It's a shame it was such a cloudy and rainy day or else the view may have been a bit nicer but we could still see most of Vienna.
We at dinner at this little Austrian restaurant about a block or two from the Hostel called Mozart's. We had Wiener Schnitzel(not sure of the spelling)and French fries, Weizen Gold beer, and for dessert, Kaisersmarren(which is delicious!). After dinner we had a drink or two in the hostel bar and then went to bed.
Sunday morning I woke up with a sinus headache and felt all congested. No fun at all. We were up by 7am because we originally planned to take the boat ride from Vienna to Bratislava(the capital city of Slovakia) for the morning. It seemed like something interesting to do, however when we went to buy the tickets all the return boats were booked! As much fun as it would have been to see another city, we didn't want to get stuck in Bratislava! lol.
Instead we walked around Vienna and came across some new streets and things to do that we hadn't seen on Saturday. Vienna is a very impressive city. The Museums opened at 10Am, so after having a bite to eat, we headed to the Art Museum and spent a few hours there. We had a Doner Kebab for lunch and then headed to St. Marx's Cemetary where Mozart was buried. We walked around there for a little, got our picture taken by his grave and then headed back to the hostel for a bit. For dinner we ate at the same little restaurant, except this time we just had Kaisersmarren. We were both so tired after eating and I wasn't feeling well so I think we were both asleep by 9pm.
Monday morning we were up and checked out of the hostel by 8:30 AM. Our train for Prague was at 10:04am, but we needed to stop at the pharmacy to get some decongestant medicine and aspirin for me. We arrived in Prague around 2:30pm. When we got to the train station we first had to figure out how to buy a metro station, took out some Czech money, and made our way to the hostel to check in. Once we checked in, we made our way to the center of Prague to find a restaurant, since we hadn't eaten all day. We ate at this little Czech restaurant and it was very good! We walked around the center for a bit, but it got dark early, so we decided to head back to the hostel and rest up for a big day of being tourists.
Tuesday morning we woke up around 8, took a shower had some coffee and a donut (free breakfast at the hostel) and headed out into the city. We first made our way to the Old Town Square where the Astronomical Clock is located. We were there on the hour so that was neat, but I was a little let down when it was finished. We then made our way to the Prague Castle and walked around there for a bit. We stopped at a little cafe for lunch. The view of Prague from the Castle was nice. Although the weather was cold and rainy, it seemed appropriate for the city of Prague. We then made our way to St. Charles Bridge and took some pictures of course. We walked through a little market and we each bought a small painting of the town of Prague. We then headed back to the hostel to rest up before dinner. We found some tours to do and one was a "Pub Crawl." It seemed the best way for two girls to go out in an unfamiliar city and still have some fun. We had dinner around 7:30pm, and ate at a little restaurant near the Astronomical Clock. The tour said to meet in the Old Town Square at 9:15 pm, so we stayed around there till then. There were 3 guides for the night who took us to a few pubs and bars for the night. There were some other Americans and a few Australians who were in the group and at the end of the night they called us a taxi back to our hostel. It was a lot of fun and nice to meet some other people.
Wednesday was our last full day before our overnight train back to France. We checked out of the hostel around 11am and were able to store our luggage for the day while we went out for the day.
It was a fun trip nice to finally to soand Franzi and I are going to be travel buddies for the rest of the year and have some big travel plans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



30th October 2008

Frenchie does Prague and Austria
Looks like you had an amazing time! I loved both of those cities! I got your postcard roomie...THANKS! it was so good to hear from you! Miss you.
30th October 2008

Rainy
I am happy to hear congestion didn't ruin everything!!! Looks like a great time!
30th October 2008

too much funnel cake and pie
On dirait que le plaisir. Vous connaissez les gènes Reilly, mieux le fonctionnement de départ 5k courses dès que possible
30th October 2008

I'm glad to read that you had a great time travelling. Take every chance to discover nice places in Europe. By the way, Wiener Schnitzel was spelled right. However, it's called Kaiserschmarrn. But I see that you tried some of my favorite dishes :). Keep doing it! Greetings from snowy Germany.
30th October 2008

FUN!
Looks like great fun! Glad you and your travel buddy had such a good time despite the sinus trouble. I'm surprised that Dad is more concerned about the pastries than the liquor--Funny!
31st October 2008

Kris! That face with your dessert! Oh goodness. hahaaha

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb