Tourist Day


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
July 28th 2023
Published: July 29th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Train trip wasn’t too bad but it did have quite a few stops which meant for broken sleep. Tried to have a shower but the hot water must have gone with the wind. No cold shower for me so dried off what had got wet and had a pommie bath - splash a bit of water on the important bits and a double dose of deodorant.

Made it to Helsinki and got the bags out without hernias again. Into a cab. Little station wagon but the driver said no problems, he can get all the bags in. Got it all in then he says where to. Minimum fee plus the bags = €30 - around $50 AUD for a relatively short trip. Has us by the short and curlies so had to go with it.

Eventually got to the hotel by an interesting way (fixed price so who cares). Stops well short and says there you go. Nope. You drive up to the front door (another 50 meters) or no pay. Finally drops us at the door. I get out and he starts to chase me to make sure I pay. Could have played this game all day but decided to be nice and pay. Don’t try screwing with us mr taxi driver…….

Hotel was great. Ended up getting a room for us - very early. Thanked our man on reception. Nice room on the top floor with a view of the renovation works across the road.

Get organized, ensure Stephanie has the bag under the required 23kg limit then head out to get a coffee and snack. Our reception man gives us the place to go to which is in a food type hall on the waterfront. Find said coffee place and order up. Good coffee and the pastries were pretty fine as well. Quick call to Jessica, Chris and the kids. All good.

Back out onto the street after doing a lap of the food stalls and onto a hop on hop off bus. Around Helsinki we go. Good tour which gives us a good grounding of what’s where.

Finally back to the hotel and get Stephanie organized. Her flight is at 1650 but needs to leave here at 1430.

We decide to go out to the airport with her and catch the train back from the airport. Note to Dan - these airport trains do work when they are done correctly……..

Drinks with Stephanie before she heads to Stockholm for an overnight sleep then off on Saturday to Bangkok and finally home late Sunday night.

Did the farewell embarrassment shots then she was into the security line and we were down to the well organized airport train. €8.40 got the 2 of us back to Helsinki.

Quick tub then out to dinner at an outdoor restaurant in the esplanade in Helsinki. Very nice, now to bed.

Good first day in Helsinki.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb