Santa


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Rovaniemi
July 27th 2023
Published: July 28th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Woke up with the sun coming in the un-curtained windows. Allowed us to look at nature all night - behind closed eyes. Still looked good this morning.

As we were walking to breakfast we heard the sound of a jet. Next thing a fighter jet zooms overhead into the wild blue yonder. Turns out the nearby airport is also a military base. This thing was going very fast and the noise went on for quite a while.

Nice breakfast then went back and finalized packing. Called our valet service who picked us and our bags up. Stored the bags at the hotel and headed off on foot to Santa’s village. A 30 minute walk.

Again, whine walking a couple more jets went screeching over us. This time different colored planes. Maybe Air Force and navy - who knows. Just loud and very low.

For those in the know, Santa’s village is an oversized commercially driven place, however we lined up and had a personal audience with Santa. Pics to prove it as well - at a cost.

It was worth the effort though. Delivered Pippa’s letter to Santa and he had a relatively good chat with us. Did some more souvenir shopping even though we don’t have space for it all.

Wandered around the whole complex - huge but a lot of places shut during the non-winter months. Hard to ride a ski-doo when there is no snow……

Had a bite to eat then headed back to the hotel to get our bags. All good and eventually found our way (in a taxi) to the train station.

Decided to get there as all the bags are a hassle and they have a restaurant. Surprisingly good food (pizzas and pasta).

Train eventually pulls into the platform after loading cars - just like the old Vinelander to and from Mildura.

Find our carriage and of course we have upstairs cabins. Wrestle the luggage upstairs without hernia or other incidents.

Stephanie us wondering whether she might have a guest in her cabin. Get going then the train conductor arrives to check tickets. All good and no there won’t be anyone else in Stephanie’s room. Winner winner.

Get organized and go to the diner car for a drink. Sun blazing at 2200. Drinks cold so very nice. Busy diner car with no seats at tables left. We prop ourselves at those lean on seats like the new trans have got. Ok for a short session.

Now to wrestle ourselves into bed. No problems and the beds feel reasons my comfortable. Only 10 hours to Helsinki now…….


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb