I miss snow.


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
July 12th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Right, well I went on a tour - just not the one I thought I was going to do haha. We went to Lahemaa National Park instead of Paldaski… which is fine, except Lahemaa is what I planned to do on Thursday before catching my overnight bus to Vilnius… ah well, I’ll figure something out.

Back to the tour, we left around 11am - it was a nice bunch. There was a Lithuanian family (4-yr old girl, 6-yr old boy, parents and grandmother) and a Polish family (mom, teenager daughter, 10-yr old boy). Only the Lithuanian Dad, and the Polish Mom and girl spoke English - I spent most of my time with the girl, she was happy to practice her English and I was happy to oblige.

We took the infamous blue hippy minivan haha, so sketch. I sat up front which is probably a good thing… not quite sure the middle section would pass any North American regulations. (There were two padded benches of sorts, facing each other haha).

It was deathly hot again today… possibly even more-so than the past few. It was 33, plus 48% humidity…so felt like a wonderful 41 degrees. Of course the van had no A/C… I thought I was going to liquefy and melt into the seat. It wasn’t much better outside though… but at least then we had the hope of a momentary breeze and we weren’t stuck against the seats.

First stop was some “circular graves” - they’re these really old graves that were dug up as part of an archeological dig. Essentially the coffins were buried, and large stones were set around (forming a rectangle the size of the grave). Then, about 2 feet out, there is another wall of stones in a circle around the grave. It was quite something to see - although the small ones were sad, it meant they were children. One of them had a handful of daisy-like flowers growing straight out from where the chest of the person would be - it was quite something.

After that we went to “the Baltics’ largest waterfall” … it was hard not to laugh. Maybe I’m just spoiled from seeing Icelandic and Norwegian falls, but this one, is just a baby. It’s maybe 2 stories tall… maybe. The kids went to walk in the water, and some of the adults went to take their shoes off to do the same. I however thought of a much better plan - why only get let my feet get wet? Mist is where it’s at. I walked straight up to the edge of the pebbles and stones and just stood in front of the falls - lapping up all the mist I could handle. The rest of the group looked at me, perplexed haha. Finally the Lithuanian boy wandered over beside me, stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me and spread his arms out wide, with a smile that stretched clear across his face haha. Yes, I know the good spots.

We then climbed this little mountain for a view over the “Land of Bays” which sounds much more impressive than it was. We climbed. There was a little memorial for WW2 (just a couple boulders with names engraved). The view was obstructed by trees. Oh so many trees haha. Apparently this used to be a fortress we are told, because of how close we are to Finland - just across the bay… which we can barely see haha. Fail.

Next stop was an old, decrepit manor… we grudgingly (we were all ready to just nap in the shade at this point) got out of the van and kind of just stared towards the manor, debating whether or not it was worth the energy to walk over and take a look. Our guide didn’t give us much choice, so off we went. Of course, you can’t go in… so that was kind of a let down. Me and the Poles were like ‘yeahhhh, could’ve taken the picture from back in the shade near the bus, but great’. While in the sun, we were coaxed to the remnants of the workers’ housing area… just a bunch of large stones, really.

Last stop before lunch (and a much, MUCH needed water re-fill) was the bog. We walked 10min through a forest which was fine, since it was in the shade. We then had another 5-10min walking along planks in the middle of the bog and bay… in direct sunlight… and then we climbing a look-out tower…. in direct sunlight. None of us wanted to move after we got up there haha. The view was nice (could see a few ponds), but really none of us wanted to go back in the sun haha. Kids were getting grumpy at this point too.

Honestly, I think all of us had the same favourite stop - lunch haha. Screw real food, we all got ice cream, either pop or a beer, and a bottle of water (or two). The heat was starting to SLIGHTLY break at this point, and we definitely enjoyed staying in the shade. We spent a good 30min there - I sat with the Poles; the Mom’s an English teacher, so we got to talking abut education in Poland, and comparing it to Canada and such.

It’s funny that they teach English the way we (for the most part) teach French… by using useless grammar sheets and verb exercises, without any practical practice. The girl noted how most graduates can understand, but can’t speak English… sound familiar to anyone who’s done French Immersion here?

Anyway, ahem.

We stopped at another manor, one that has been restored. This one was apparently in decent shape before restoration because the owners back in the day had been good to the workers, so the building wasn’t ransacked when they left. It sure looked beautiful, although I couldn’t tell you what the inside was like since you had to pay to even set foot on the grounds, and apparently that was not included in our tour price haha.

Last stop was along the Baltic Sea, at a beach famous for its abnormally large boulders. Now, you would assume we went to go SEE the boulders… but that would’ve made too much sense.

We walked through the forest for a bit, and came across a huge pile of rocks. Apparently it’s Estonian tradition to take a rock from the pile, close your eyes, make a wish and toss the rock over your shoulder back into the pile. (Wish doesn’t count if it doesn’t land and stay on the pile). The two Lithuanian kids were in absolute HEAVEN. We were slightly fearful for our lives considering the boy had been chucking pinecones and small pebbles around all day - now we were giving him unlimited access to bigger stones. We kept a healthy distance when he made his (MANY) wishes.

We then went down to the water where the kids stripped down and just launched themselves into the Sea. Apparently, this has never happened before on the tour. Fair enough. We sit back on the rocks, watching and laughing at the kids have the time of their lives. Off in the distance you can see the huge boulders - we didn’t walk over because, silly us, we assumed we’d go there after the kids were done.

But no, off we went back to the van. Uber lame.

Drive home was long - took about 80min and was mostly uneventful… that is until we got to a street that was half blocked with a “do not enter” sign and some writing in Estonian. Our guide, who is Australian and doesn’t speak any Estonian haha, doesn’t know if we’re allowed to pass. (If not, would’ve added at least 20min to our drive). We creep forward in the van, edging along an unpaved road, dust clouds everywhere, and stop just shy of the bridge they’re working on.

Why on Earth must they be working on a bridge? Anything else I’d be cool with us passing, potentially, without permission… but a bridge?!

Our guide hops out to go ask the construction guys if we can pass. The first guy is wearing a speedo, using some kind of giant electric saw to cut through metal rods under and beside the bridge. He tries to get the guy’s attention, to no avail. Okfine. Next guy walks right past him, doesn’t even stop to listen. Finally, the third guy stops to talk to him - however, speaks no English haha. After much gesturing, and pointing to the van, the worker gives a thumbs up.

So off we went, crossed the bridge without any trouble. It was fun to look around at the construction site - uhm, slightly difference in the safety codes as compared to here haha. (Man in speedo operating saw, just about everyone was barefoot, no hard hats, no nothing. Crazy)

As we get to the other side I notice there’s a “do not enter” sign again - so what, that was just a suggestion? Haha.

Whatever, we got back in one piece, that’s what matters.

I want to do that walking tour too, but not if it’s this hot. That being said, at least my hostel room is nice and relatively cool - I have no fan and no A/C, but my room faces and inner courtyard, so it’s in the shade without any direct sunlight. Perfect.

So, I have no idea what I’m doing tomorrow… although it might involve a beach. Wednesday is supposed to be 36 not accounting for humidity, so I’m thinking that will be my “A/C” day. (ie. Shop at the mall and catch a movie. They actually have Shrek in English here, I’m pleased haha).




Also, an extension to yesterday’s post - I forgot something odd about the bus ride… the highway between Latvia and Estonia is probably not a good idea for a foreigner to drive upon. I’ll do my best to explain this without a picture by going through my observations.

At first glance there are 2 lanes, with 2 paved shoulders (about 1/3 the width of a car).

I notice a lot of cars keep swerving towards the shoulders… I’m wondering how safe the roads are haha.

Next thing I now, we’re driving down the middle of the 2 lanes... yes, into on oncoming traffic. Oh my God, what is our driver doing.

We survive the pass without any problems. I’m pleased.

I watch the cars in front of us, and it suddenly makes sense. Well, kind of.

For you see,
The refurbished manorThe refurbished manorThe refurbished manor

From behind the gates haha
those shoulders are apparently “passing lanes” - if a car is behind you and wants to pass, or an oncoming vehicle is passing a car, you move over into the smaller lane allowing enough room for all 3 cars to fit across the 2 normal sized lanes.

You know, it’s actually quite smart… although like I said if you’re a foreigner and you don’t know this, it could end very badly. I couldn’t help but try and imagine implementing something like that on Highway 17... for some odd reason I can’t see it working too well over here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

In mid-wishIn mid-wish
In mid-wish

I look like I'm either fist pumping, doing the "solid" gesture from that Bill Nye, or I'm very angry.
Giant boulderGiant boulder
Giant boulder

That's as close as we got... =(


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1119s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb