Copenhagen, Roskilde & Malmö


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
February 14th 2006
Published: April 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Since we had so much fun when we visited Stockholm in wintertime, my wife decided to spend Valentine together in Copenhagen... What a good idea!

Arriving in Karstrup (Copenhagen international airport) went very smoothly. I read in my travel guide that this is 'a silent airport,' meaning there are no boarding calls. (Un?)Fortunately we did not forget this for the flight back...

One of the first things we visited was Nyhavn, the picturesque harbor. The canal was dug in the 17th century and is known for its colourful façades. We liked it that much that we visited it several times.

The Little Mermaid on the other hand, was less impressive than we expected it to be. To our opinion it was rather small and there were lots of tourists... including us of course ;-). I read in my travel guide that "the gentle lady had been several times been the subject of undesired attention". She was at least once beheaded, and once her arm was sawn off. That's why they moved the statue father off in the harbor.

Amalienborg Slot is the prime residence of the Danish Royal family.

We also managed to take some pictures of the 'free state' Christiana (although it was actually forbidden). Christiana is an abandonded 41-hectare military camp, taken over by squatters in 1971. It attracted about 1000 people living there and the community was allowed to continue as a 'social experiment'.

The Church of Our Saviour is a baroque church, known for its corkscrew spire.

Roskilde was Denmark's first capital and also known for its international music festival. But besides the Domkirke (which was closed when we were there), there is also a Viking Ship Museum.

Finally 'we visited the neighbours', and went a day to Malmö in Sweden. Copenhagen and Malmö are connected by the Oresund bridge (7,8km) and less than an hour away from each other. It was worth the visit!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



2nd April 2013

Thank You For The Pictures
Sitting here on a warm Australian morning, waiting for autumn to arrive, looking at your pictures of one of my favourite cities, Copenhagen (Last there Oct 2012). I have to agree with the mermaid and tourist numbers, gotta love those tourist on those motorised two wheel things. When in Copenhagen HIRE A BIKE!

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb