The First 36 in Copenhagen!


Advertisement
Denmark's flag
Europe » Denmark » Region Hovedstaden » Copenhagen
August 24th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wow. I have arrived in the coolest city I have ever visited (disclaimer: London and Madrid rocked hard but I live here in Copenhagen now 😉 ). This story could be about a 20 page whirlwind of experience but I will keep it reasonable!

1. We arrive in Copenhagen and the Danish Customs whips about 500 incoming passengers through in about 20 minutes. Impressive. I claimed all bags and sustained no robberies by the United States Department of Homeland Security or the Danish authority. Score.

2. We load up in a coach and are whisked to the IT University of Copenhagen which is a spectacle of Danish architecture and design. Here we are given all our information, schedules, transportation fares, etc. With several hours of free time I met a lot of classmates and orchestrated a pamphlet-reading-a-thon.



3. By the 423 pamphlet, I was ready for the trip we made into the city center for a quick tour. As we took the Metro to Nørreport Station and found the school campus (two typical Copenhagen buildings sandwiched on a tight gade (Danish for street). We bought our transportation pass, which cost 2,100 kroner! (425ish dollars!) This will only last me half the semester too! As we strolled through the central square in Copenhagen, we witnessed 12 year olds playing soccer with about 400 spectators along with a party mix DJ pumpin music into the square. It was breathtakingly awesome. This city is truly alive.

4. When we were whisked off to our folkeholskoles, I met my fifteen comrades for the Grundtvigs Hojskole and they were all very chill and nice. My first dinner in Denmark was a Bulgarian Musaka prepared by the cook's visiting Bulgarian friend...of course we had a salad with blue cheese cubes which was thoroughly Danish and thoroughly delicious. We were then given the tour of our mansion of a boarding school / fraternity like house where all the hallways are greenhouses and going to your room is a trip through the Secret Garden.

5. Then bed. Finally. 😉

More to come!...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb