Cesky Krumlov: a UNESCO heritage site


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Darling! This is for you.Darling! This is for you.Darling! This is for you.

Seen on the street before we set off for the day!
We decided to take a day tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Český Krumlov which is famous for its Old Town, with 300 protected medieval buildings, and its castle complex, the second largest in the Czech Republic, after Prague Castle. The town, created around the castle which is a mix of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque, was founded in 1253. Surrounded by rolling hills and the Vltava River which then wends its way to Prague, Český Krumlov's cobblestone streets wind past centuries old townhomes, inns, shops, and cafes. Located in the southwest part of the Czech Republic, it's about 170 kms from Prague.

The tour we'd booked left Prague at 8.45am, arriving back around 7pm so, all that travelling, even though we weren't doing the driving, was quite tiring. But it was a perfect day for it and very interesting to be driving through the countryside. And when we got there it really was beautiful but, like all such towns, it was full of shops to tease money out of your pocket, nevertheless we didn't buy anything. We've already got more than enough to to cart around with us and I'm really doing my best not to buy more 'stuff' that we really don't need.

The tour we did of the castle was very interesting but we weren't allowed to take photos which is probably a good thing since I've no doubt I take way too many as it is. While we're learning much more history of this part of the world we really should do some reading on the subject when we finally get home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Cesky Krumlov gardens Cesky Krumlov gardens
Cesky Krumlov gardens

Kev with our trusty backpack
A bear in the bear pitA bear in the bear pit
A bear in the bear pit

No, it's not the NSW Parliament!
Lisa (from Hong Kong), Kev and MichelleLisa (from Hong Kong), Kev and Michelle
Lisa (from Hong Kong), Kev and Michelle

Lunch in one of the town's pubs


26th June 2015

Cesky Krumlov
What a pretty town, it's a shame about the poor bear in the pit

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb