Friends visit Prague & Pocatky


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

In just a short time this little town in South Bohemia has been visited by 2 Aussies and an American and an Englishman who happens to live in the same building as we do. Hows that for being a little peculiar...The town has a small population of Czechs ( 2000 ),2 Mongolians and a handful of Veitnamese which makes it quite an interesting mix.
Roberto came over fromSydney to visit for 10days, he saw quite a bit in 10days, Prague, Pocatky, Cesky Krumlov, Telc, a Hockey match , Tabor.
We walked around Prague making frequent pitstops at local Czech bars drinking hot wine or hot rum...grog and svarak, Roberto came to love these drinks.
We were on the end of Winter,although it didnt snow whilst he was here, it was still around 5-12Degrees.
Prague Council are currently renovating Charles Bridge, the scaffolding is an unfortunate consequence , but there are many statues on the bridge and the sandstone has blackened over the centuries, but someof the statues have already been cleaned, athough I prefer the blackones, gives a more eerie,gothic feel to the Bridge.
The view from the top of the The Old Town Square (Staromestske Nam.)tower is a brillant place to take photos from, and the entry fee is well worth it, cheap as...on the hours hundreds of people gather to hear the astronomical clock chime. Its packed with tourists in the summer and a very popular spot. Now surrounded by restuarants, cafes and bars which are very, very pricey. 100m around the corner can save you quite a bit of dosh.
Located inside Prague Castle, St.Vitis Cathederal is one of my favourite structures in the world, when you walk through Prague castle gates and walk under the small alcave, the cathederal hits you smack in the face, the impact is overwhelming. The detailed stained glass windows which are still intact, the gothic gargorles sticking out from every angle, the stone carvings and the surrounding Prague Caslte and Golden lane compel you to hang around pretty much all day, just watching and taking photos, drinking svarak and grog. In the evening the Cathederal lights up, blue and white lights gives another feel to the Cathederal. Take a tripod!
Czechs are famously good at two things, drinking beer and playing and usually winning Ice-Hockey. They have alot of exported players representing USA and as for their beer pilsner, well its still
Old Town Square TowerOld Town Square TowerOld Town Square Tower

With Prague Castle in the background.
a controversial issue between the States and Czech regarding the patent on the use of the name Pilsen, Pilsner Urquell.
Still it doesnt stop fans drinking and attending matches!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb