Prague


Advertisement
Czech Republic's flag
Europe » Czech Republic » Prague
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After missing our train in Dresden, we arrived in Prague around 11pm. Our hostel definitely received good reviews based entirely on the location...not the facilities. (since when does a bowl of corn flakes count as "breakfast"?)

Despite our initial bad impression, Prague was absolutely magnificent. Over just a few days, we managed to see a lot...and took many pictures, which unfortunately don't do the city justice. We stayed in Stare Mesto, on the east side of the Vltava, and on Saturday we climbed the hill on the other side of the Charles Bridge, which gave us a wonderful panomaric view of the entire city. From there, we walked through the Loreta, the Prague Castle, and winded our way throughout the narrow city streets.

Everything is cobblestone and even the sidewalks are made of carefully placed patterns of stone. We spent hours just wandering around, getting lost, and appreciating everything we saw. ...and tasted. The exchange rate was definitely in our favor here, allowing us to take advantage and enjoy some of the fine cuisine.

This city definitely has a massive tourist population, and apparently we look like Americans as a small foreign women barked, "MAC-donalds! MAC-donalds!" at us, desperately hoping we could point her in the right direction. ...as if we would (of course) know where every McDonalds was located.

In other notes of ridiculousness, the Czech certainly have a sincere love for bad American music...either songs that were (semi) popular fifteen years ago, or the stuff that was just flat-out rejected by the States. Walking through the streets at night was like being trapped in a bad gay disco.

In the words of Madonna (we heard this song more than once):

If we took a holiday
Took some time to celebrate
Just one day out of life
It would be, it would be so nice

Up next: Vienna





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



25th June 2007

...haha...
Hallo, well, hope next to all that you had a nice stay...Vienna will be much different. ;-) How in the world did u miss the train in Dresden??? Greetings Rudi
25th June 2007

McDonalds
You didn’t bring your map that has the location of every McDonalds in the world?? Seriously, what’s the point of going abroad if you aren’t going to swing by all the local McDonalds? I’m so disappointed in you. On the Brightside I would assume that the women thought you were locals since everyone knows you never ask a tourist where something is. Ironically last week some European’s stopped me on the street and asked me in very broken English, where a McDonalds was. I was in Georgetown, so I told them there wasn’t one by and then they asked, “hamburger place??” so I sent them to Five Guys. Anyway, it sounds like you are having a blast!
25th June 2007

Awesome
Man prague looks so awesome, and isnt it called praha on the maps and stuff?> All I know is that I have heard rumors of how you can eat like kings and queens in prague for super cheap, I hope you did that. And maybe sarah can learn a few awesome recipes during your travels.

Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb