Croatia = Paradise


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Istria » Krk
July 7th 2009
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After 3 weeks of being in big cities and urban life, we took a vacation from our vacation and headed to what we are sure is one of the most beautiful islands in the world...... Krk, an island in Croatia. This seemed to be a popular vacation destination for Croatians, Italians and Germans. It was no easy task to get to the island. 10 hours on the train, a 2 mile hike up hill, followed by 2 hours on a bus, with just enough energy and daylight left over to look out the window and see the Adriatic Sea, surrounding by cliffs on all sides. It made the long day of travel well worth it!

Our 5 days in Baska (the name of the town that we were in) were very relaxing as island life should be. Our daily routine involved getting up at the crack of dawn ... 8:00 ... so that we could hit up our delicious breakfast buffet. After that we had to make our big hike to the beach (50m) and find a couple chairs and umbrella to camp it under for a solid 8 to 10 hours! We went between swimming in the Adriatic and back to the beach chairs pretty much all day. We bought a raft, which ended up being the best investment we have made this year! There is not much that beats laying on a raft in the calm sea! The big event of the day was when Andy had to make a hike to the local crepe stand to bring back lunch which was always the same thing, 2 chocolate crepes. We could get used to this...

It was a beautiful beach and the water was clear and blue. As you can see in some of the pics it had that aqua blue look about it. The water was also very calm because of the fact that Baska beach is guarded by cliffs on either side so the water was very calm and easy to swim in. We also had perfect weather for beaching it up, every day it reached a high between 85 and 90 degrees. Our skin is thanking us for the SPF 50 and umbrella we rented every day!

We didnĀ“t realize until we got there that we had an all inclusive set up at our hotel. So we also were treated to a dinner buffet each night. Night time was also very lively in Baska. We passed on listening to the hotel cocktail bar singer who was very proud of her singing capabilities ... we opted for walking the beach front road and watching the sun go down from a pier. We will think of moments like that in January when we are shoveling the snow in our driveway!

Our legs and backs were glad to get a little break from walking so much as we had been doing tons of walking in the 21 days prior to arriving here. The morning when we left the hotel it was a whole lot easier to walk with our backpacks on than when we arrived in Baska. All in all we had a wonderful time relaxing in Croatia and it was probably our favorite part of our Eastern European extravaganza. We decided it was a great place to spend the 4th of July, although no smores or fireworks! It was hard to leave this little slice of preserved paradise, but we were consoled to know that we were leaving Baska to head back home to Madrid!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Sea cars you can rent to play onSea cars you can rent to play on
Sea cars you can rent to play on

JD - We were thinking you would have loved that! Add one to your car collection perhaps?


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb