DAY 72 STARI GRAD (Hvar Island)


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Stari Grad
August 2nd 2023
Published: August 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post


Stari Grad ... loved the place.
Out through the Heads that protected Vis, into the open sea with mainsail and headsail catching the strong breeze and pushing us along at a great speed of 10-12 knots coupled with the heal (lean) was a terrific feeling … a feeling that was to leave me …

Feeling the wind, watching the waves and swell of about 2m and feeling the boat race across the crest, plunge bow first into the next and rise again to repeat was enjoyable and exhilarating to me, the non-sailor … until … I decided to go below to use the Head. With the boat on a lean, I negotiated the stairs, placed feet on the angled floor and then it ‘hit’ me. Head spinning … no balance … sea sickness. Made it to my cabin, collapsed onto the bunk and disappeared from the deck until our arrival in the beautiful town of Stari Grad on the island of Hvar. I didn’t vomit as two others did on deck.

It took about 2 hours to recover, aided by a tablet, much water and a great roll of peasant food made by Jane. Sitting on a stool off the boat was a necessity.

Good morning from Vis.

Everyone did their own thing after we had refilled the water tanks and other boat chores.

Jane and I headed into Stari Grad, walking the Riva, the lanes, the back streets, falling in love with the town. We took numerous photos and as always, I am never positive about the selection of photos to display. We dined at the “Albatros” (Yes, that’s the spelling used) and again slowly walked part of the Riva returning to the yacht where we found Brian and Dianne. With drinks poured we were joined by Peter, Mel and Alesija followed by Jeff and Kety. There was much light-hearted banter and loud laughs. Yachties and boaties from around the world ambled by, returning to their boats after a good night out. We hit-the-sack nearing 12.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Charting the course ... Vis-Stari Grad.


Early morning natter over coffee and croissants


Unfurling of mainsail


Mainsail and headsail unfurled ready to catch the breeze.


Goodbye Vis


Skipper Peter calling the shots.


nto the open sea and the heal is noticeable.


Jane enjoying the ride on the low side.


... and the high side ...


Stari Grad honours its manual labourers


The safe, beautiful harbour of Stari Grad.


Looking down the port.



Stari Grad school across the water.


Tilly Lamps ... I know these well.






Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb