DAY 73 MILNA (Island of Brac)


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Milna
August 5th 2023
Published: August 5th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Post swim and shower.
A leisurely stroll with Jane for an early morning swim after a late night. The stroll took us past some beautiful vistas.

Breaking away from the dock we hoisted sail promptly and headed for the open sea. It took three long tacks before we were through the heads and away. The breeze allowed for a speed of 6-7 knots before increasing to 9. It was a very comfortable cruise to our destination, Milna, on the island of Brac. Not a cloud in the sky, the sea as blue as blue and the sun shining a comfortable heat.

I sat under the mainsail boom for the total sail, joined by Jane a half hour into the sail. Not a hint of seasickness today. There were many yachts about, over 2 dozen of various sizes. Ours is one of the largest yachts which allows for a larger sail area and hence more speed. The yacht was on a heal (lean) for the entire journey. I preferred it that way. We shared the sea with a few ferries not to mention power craft too.

As we had a dock site booked it was a matter of sailing straight in and tying

Vista on our walk to the beach.
up. No sooner had we concluded the tying and formalities that a lunch spread prepared by the ladies was presented on the table in the cockpit. We toasted today’s sail with champagne before digging into lunch. An hour or so later and everyone, bar me, was having a ‘nap’. Another big night was planned.

As they all slept, I watched what I thought was as a ‘small’ cloud forming. It grew very quickly and began covering the hillside of Milna and the yachting marina. The small cloud was in fact smoke from a bushfire out of control. What is it with Milna? On our first night at sea we had to seek refuge in bay 002 not far from Milna and now a fire. This has definitely been an eventful trip, which will, down the track, aid our recall of the sail.

The night was spent in a ‘thank you’ dinner for Mel and Peter who had organised this memorable sail, followed by a relaxing stroll around Milna. The eateries were packed, the port chokkas, the atmosphere one of joy with live music in several places.


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Water Polo set up.


Life of the Rich, Famous and Intruders.


Jane taking a dip.


Heading out of Stari Grad.



Mel, Alesija and Peter.


Peter checking sails.


View to coastal mountains.


On a tack.


Sharing the sea with local vehicle ferry


Sharing the sea with vehicle and passenger ferry.


Sun bathing.


Enjoying the sail.


A good heal.


Many yachts about.


Light house entrance to Milna


An unfortunate rescued.


Into Milna.



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb