Almost time to Split


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Split
July 9th 2012
Published: July 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

By the time we got to Split I was a beginning to think that all of the towns on the Dalmatian coast was much the same - white walls, green shutters, red tiles and most importantly slippery white marble pavements of death. Little did I know the best town would be last! Although initially wary, as it is one of the biggest towns in Croatia and our arrival was in a commercial harbour flanked by the omnipresent cruise ships, Split turned out to be my favourite town on the Dalmatian coast.

It is super old, having been originally built as a palace by the 51st Emperor of the Roman Empire, Diocletian (thanks Wikipeida!) in 305 for his retirement after all that exhausting ruling (the Roman Emperor way of retiring down the coast?). The town of Split has somehow emerged between and in and all around the old ruins, making the alley ways and streets of the old town very charming, as ruins of all sorts spring up from nowhere and disappear again. I guess it has also helped that there has been no major earthquakes or natural disasters in Split, and that Split has been of no importance to any of the bomb-happy nations in the 20th century.

The basement of the palace has been restored, after being used as the town's garbage dump for hundreds of years, with the garbage preserving the structure nicely. It is also very cool down there, which was much appreciated.

Apart from the visit to the ruins I can't say much exciting was accomplished aside from the usual walking around. There wasn't even swimming this time. I did manage to walk up the nearby Marjan hill for the view as well as go to one of the galleries, but that was probably the height of any exertion.

Next up: three days in Zagreb, then finally the long trip home, where BOM tells me I should expect a top of 12 on Friday. Only 23 degrees lower than the weather today, I should be fine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our entertainmentOur entertainment
Our entertainment

Chefs by day...
Split from the topSplit from the top
Split from the top

Don´t look too close, otherwise you'll notice the sweat bucketing off me


9th July 2012

I kinda groaned out loud at the split gag. Just letting you know. Enjoy the last bits of your trip!
10th July 2012

That means the pun was a success!
9th July 2012

Watch out for the weather.
Don't be tricked into thinking you will actually arrive home at the maximum temperature of the day. And maybe pay someone to go and turn your heater on for you before you get home. :) it's cold here!
10th July 2012
Gallery

Those meshyball things are pretty cool!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb