Day 69 Croatia : ‘Phew what a scorcher’ and the Krka National Park


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Sibenik
July 10th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post


After our sailing it was back to the Bongo, although we had a terrific week on the yacht, it seemed good to be on the road again.
We headed off to Krka National Park just north of where we had been sailing.
Referring back to what we said of an earlier blog about not knowing what to expect of our next campsite. We arrive at Camp Marina just outside the National park. If you imagine one of those road trip movies where the car pulls in to a garage in the middle of nowhere, where a lone attendant is sitting on the veranda as though they were the first customer they had for a looong while, well that was the scene that met us. All we needed was the tumbleweed to drift across-there was hardly anybody on this campsite!. Marina was the person sitting on the veranda , she could not do enough to help us. She explained to us that they run a minibus from the site, which include all highlights of Krka N. P.
The following day we poured into a small minibus alongside 4 Italians, a German couple, (and 3 dogs) all of whom spoke little English The first stop were the Krka falls, these were spectacular, we were even allowed to swim there. These falls years ago powered millstones, hydro electricity - even a laundry!. After here we stopped at a magnificent view over a lake with monastery on an island, and another monastery with catacombs with skull and bones dating back 2000 years. We stopped for lunch which was included in price, with cheeses meats and copious amounts of wine and schnapps. Here I met one of the Italians , Bruno who managed to borrow a guitar from the restaurant and started singing Volare and ol sole meo Alison passed me the guitar for a blast of the Irish Rover. Bruno later gave me a cd that he had made it was really rather good. What this tour lacked in information made up for it in charm.

Unseasonally, the temperature has risen apparently early this season, with temperature in the 30’s. It is hot and sticky, the simplest task in the Bongo is irritating, and worst of all-sleeping at night. There is not a breath of air going through our sleeping quarters. I said to a Dutch man who relishing the sun on the same campsite for the 3rd week ‘how do you manage to sleep in this heat’ told me he had 5 electric fans strategically placed!!. Anyway must go and have a cold shower before I melt.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 16; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb