Day 71-74 Trogir, Split, Dubrovnik ...and it had to happen somewhere!!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 15th 2011
Published: July 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 71-74 Trogir, Split, Dubrovnik ...and it had to happen somewhere!!

We took a boat from our campsite to the small walled town of Trogir, situated on a peninsula North of Split. Boat seems the only (and cheap) way to travel because its so hot! (Think we mentioned the heat before!). Trogir was very pretty, well kept white stone walls narrow streets, incorporating a castle, cathedral and town square. Lots of souvenir shops and eateries, but the harbour was full of visiting cruiser sailing and motor yachts which is always good to watch.
The following day we went further, a boat to Trogir and another larger passenger boat to Split. Arriving at Split was delightful as the beautiful facade of the Diocletion’s palace (300AD Roman/ Venetian origin) is right at the port. Within the walls of the palace were houses shops and restaurants, but it felt more lived in and used as a town than Trogir. After walking in the town we were ready for a swim to cool off. The beach was a bit of a hike, and we were amazed at its popularity, it was packed both on the lido and in the water. Didn’t stop us though!

We left Trogir and headed south on one of the best coastal roads we have ever driven, it hugged the coast for miles, the views were spectacular.

It had to happen.....On our way to Dubrovnik we were just crossing the Bosnian border back into Croatia when we found we had a flat tyre. We tried to limp to a garage, but none in sight so Kim had to change the tyre to our emergency spare. Great fun in 40 degree heat! Luckily we found a garage who would source us a tyre within a couple of days, giving us time to see Dubrovnik town.

We again were able to get a boat from our campsite to Dubrovnik, a great way to arrive and see the old town. The town has very impressive walls, built on a rocky peninsular. Dubrovnik was hit quite badly in 1991 during the former Balkan War. But there appeared little signs of this. The main street was full of beautifully kept shops, completely pedestrianised. We found lots of narrow streets, fountains and a variety of churches. But the highlight was the walk around the wall, which we did about 4pm to try and avoid the heat... but it was still stifling. It took about an hour and we had amazing views of the town and its position right on the sea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Yacht off our campsiteYacht off our campsite
Yacht off our campsite

At night this yacht had an array of twinkling lights under the water!


Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb