Dubrovnik, Croatia


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
April 29th 2012
Published: May 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Cabin on the FerryCabin on the FerryCabin on the Ferry

Surprisingly comfy - much better than a seat!
Day 1

The early morning start was worth it to see the ferry pulling in to Croatia just after sunrise. Dubrovnik is beautiful!! We hadn't even done anything yet but we loved it!! A quick coffee and breakfast and we walked to our hotel which has a lovely view of the sea! The people in Dubrovnik are so friendly and helpful! We strolled down the very rocky Lapad beach (rocky beach but incredibly blue, clear waters) and down a little promenade, then made our way to the old city! Wow! I mean it.... Wow!! Such a gorgeous place! All old cream coloured buildings with terracotta roofs! The first thing we did was climb and walk the city walls. What a spectacular place! I can't describe it so you will have to look at the pictures! We had gelati or course and wandered the streets which are FULL of pigeons!! And they are evil!

Apparently there is only 1 laundromat in the whole of Dubrovnik and is on the other side of town. A much better idea than washing our clothes in the bath like we had planned! Also a handy place to revisit and use their free wifi!! We did have to move a few times coz it looked a bit dodgy sitting outside a closed laundromat on our phones!!We have been absolutely blessed with beautiful weather and thank the Lord for the ozone layer otherwise I would have been burnt to a crisp!! Still no tan but here's to hoping!! Chris is fitting in just fine with the Europeans as he is browning up nicely! They always are surprised when he speaks English not Croatian!! :-)

Day 2

We had booked a tour of the Elafiti islands which are 3 islands off the coast of Croatia. So we jumped on the boat which I will call Diversity (if you don't get it, watch Anchorman!) and sat with some lovely Polish people. The first island was called Lopud. First stop.... Coffee, then gelati, then we went exploring. The lonely planet describes some of the places to visit followed by " it is closed ". So we checked out the monastery and..... It was closed! So we jumped on a path which pointed toward the beach and off we went. So about a billion steps later, after walking through the bush and over rocky paths we decided to turn back. Lucky we did because the path pretty much lead on to the nudist beach.... Awkward!!

They cooked us lunch on the boat which was a whole fish. It was really delicious! I wish they had gutted it though!

The next little island was called Šipan. A cute little island with some castle ruins and that was about it! Then the last island was called Koločep. When we arrived the tour guide said it was off season and everything was closed! And yep everything was closed and the water a bit cold for a swim. There was some people sitting at a bar having a beer and the bar looked open. A few of our fellow travelers asked for a drink and they said "we're closed!".... Weird! The trip back was lovely. Except for the turps they served us trying to pass it off as homemade liquor!

For dinner we went to this gorgeous little place in the old town. It was an open kitchen so everything was made right in front of you! The food was amazing!

Day 3

Today was a wandery day. We walked around the old city of Dubrovnik exploring the little side streets, some of the museums and cathedrals and avoiding the evil pigeons. We took a trip up Mt Srd in the cable car. Beautiful views of Dubrovnik from the top!! Pity people still haven't learnt the art of wearing deodorant as the trip down in the cable car was pretty stinky! It's called REXONA people!

That afternoon I took it upon myself to struggle through a hot stone massage. Someone had to do it! Chris sat in the hotel room and worked! Chris did however have a massage later while I attempted to straighten my hair with what I can only describe as a hair agitator because there was very little drying going on! Curly hair it is!

We had a lovely dinner at a place on the edge of a marina where we had ordered lamb cooked under the bell (slow cooked). We had to order it a few hours early so it would be ready in time and it was delicious!!

Day 4

A day of traveling again! The aim was to get down to Split to catch the ferry across to Hvar. The bus trip wasn't too bad except I was worried we were going to catch swine flu as every person on the bus seemed to be either sick and coughing, or just coughing up their lungs from the amount of cigarettes they smoke over here! You do a quick trip through Bosnia and Herzegovina on the way and I was a little disappointed I didn't get a stamp in my passport! (ps immigration is pretty slack here compared to Australia! The guy at the Italian border didn't even look at me just stamped a random spot in my passport and waived me through!)

Hvar is quite small but very beautiful. Surrounded by blue, clear waters and lots of little boats and dinghy's. I can see our time here is going to be nice and relaxing! Just what we need! Come on tan! It's you and me!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Dubrovnik at DawnDubrovnik at Dawn
Dubrovnik at Dawn

Very pretty and amazing!


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb