Sorrento


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
April 25th 2012
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 1
We caught the train to Naples from Rome and then down to Sorrento. Our hotel was up on a hillside about 25mins up from the hotel... Would have been nice if the sign for the hotel was before our bus stop but it wasn't! We got off at the next stop and ventured down the treacherous, windy road dodging the cars as they came hooning round the bend!! Our room was nice but the view was amazing! Right over the Sorrento bay! Incredible! We missed the bus back down to Sorrento so they said you could walk, an easy 30 minute walk..... Well blinkin heck if that was an easy walk I would hate to see a hard one! It was down a steep, slippery, windy "street". But it was beautiful and I am happy we did it. No way in hell was I walking back up it though!!! The Sorrento main street was madness so we took a side street which I will call "Limoncello lane". Sorrento is apparently famous for its Limoncello and the next 50 shops we walked past were full of the stuff. So we tried some and holy moley that is some strong stuff!! I will call it lemon flavored petrol! So we bought some!

Day 2

So the next day we thought it would be a beautiful day to go to Amalfi.... Except the road was closed to big buses and the line to go on special buses was so long we wouldn't have made it so we headed towards Pompei and Mt Vesuvius. We jumped on a bus which took us up Mt Vesuvius and it was probably the most scary 25 minutes of my life (or so I thought)! These huge tour buses navigating up the side of a volcano with incredibly narrow roads and 180degree bends with a sheer cliff face on one side and the mountain on the other. We walked up to the top of Mt Vesuvius (once again, an easy walk my bum!) The views were spectacular but Chris was a bit disappointed there wasn't any smoke or bubbling lava to see! The bus trip down was equally as terrifying! We ventured into the Pompei ruins which were quite fascinating! Was a bit tricky to walk on the death trap, ankle rolling roads and look at the sites at the same time but we somehow managed with ankles intact! Up the road from the hotel was a gorgeous little town called Sant Agata where we once again overindulged with pizza and pasta!!

Day 3

Finally we get to go to Amalfi! Remember how I said I thought the Vesuvius bus trip was terrifying..... Well this bus trip took it to a new level!! Crazy tight roads zigzagged all the way down a cliff and once again all in a huge tour bus!! Then another bus would come in the other direction and I was sure there wasn't enough room for 2 and yet somehow they fit!! the driver was obviously confident in his ability as he only had one hand on the wheel and the other out the window!! But Amalfi was beautiful! Just like all the pictures! We jumped on another bus and headed up to a little mountain town called Ravello. Such a beautiful place and it is just so amazing how there are so many gardens on the side of cliffs!! We enjoyed a macchiato or two and enjoyed the gorgeous weather. We braved the bus trip back down to Amalfi and jumped on a boat back to Sorrento. We had a brief stop in Positano, not to get off the boat but just to enjoy the beautiful view!! You see the pictures and think 'wow' but in real life it is something else!! I was glad we caught the ferry back as my nerves had had enough of all the bus driving!!

Day 4

A day of traveling to get to Bari to jump on a ferry overnight to Dubrovnik. We stopped briefly in Naples and decided to head out and find something for lunch. An interesting time to say the least and most probably the least safe I have felt the entire time! The street was dirty and lots of people sitting around just watching you. Probably my nerves on high alert as I had read some not so flattering information about Naples. It lives up to its reputation of the "bad boy town". We threw down lunch and headed back to the safety of the train station! Well the check in for the Dubrovnik ferry was the most stressful experience of our trip so far! We arrive at the ferry and get told we now have to catch a bus to the check in
View over SorrentoView over SorrentoView over Sorrento

From our hotel at Dusk
terminal, then come back. Ok... So we jump on the bus which takes us back to the check in area bout 1km away.... Weird and we jump in the line! The WRONG line might I say! We stood behind someone checking in a group of about 100 people for over 40 minutes while battling for a place in line when everyone was pushing to get in first! Some little old Italian Nun lost it and pushed in, shouting at the check in lady and those in the line.... I don't know, something about having a bambino..... Back of the line lady! How can a nun have a kid anyway!! Eventually we checked in and made our way back to the ferry! Luckily, we had managed to change our booking so we had a cabin with a shower instead of just a seat... Thank you Chris!! Thank goodness too because I was TOTALLY over it by then! I was asleep within seconds of putting my head on the pillow! Apparently Chris went and explored the ferry... I wouldn't know!



Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

View over SorrentoView over Sorrento
View over Sorrento

From our hotel at Night
View over SorrentoView over Sorrento
View over Sorrento

From our hotel at Dawn
Lycra - even in Italy!Lycra - even in Italy!
Lycra - even in Italy!

Or maybe that's where it started?
Drive up to RavelloDrive up to Ravello
Drive up to Ravello

Apparently it's safe to drive a bus up the side of a cliff and talk on your mobile at the same time!!
Road up to RavelloRoad up to Ravello
Road up to Ravello

Photo doesn't do it justice - one crazy drive!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb