DAY 61 DUBROVNIK


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 16th 2023
Published: July 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Eating our breakfast on a shady step on the main street before we explore the lanes. This picture reminded us of 1984 sitting on the steps at the Trevi Fountain in Rome when backpacking Italy.
Memories of 1984 when backpacking Italy came flooding back when we sat on steps to eat the just purchased simple breakfast. It was something we always did as we watched how we spent ‘every penny’ which is a bit different to our now, at times, nonchalant attitude. We watched the world go by as we did then. Finished, it was onto exploring the Old Town’s lanes and taking the cable car. It was heating up quickly.

By the time Jane and I had completed the lower level (no steps) of the Old Town, the hordes of people with earpieces from the recently arrived cruise ship swarmed in, following a tour leader who was speaking into a mic. We hit the steps to escape. Great timing. It didn’t take long for me to begin soaking my shirt. The advantage of the steps was that we were totally enclosed in shade.

Cable car tickets purchased, up we went. The view from the top, was, to say the least, sensational. The sea was azure blue and calm. Sometimes the high points of a city can be too high that you don’t capture the detail of what you see below or afar. This
was not the case with Dubrovnik’s high point. For me, it was perfect.

Back down amongst the traffic jam of people we quickly exited with a bit of peasant food and caught the bus ‘home’ as it was now not comfortably warm. Cold shower, into comfortable clothing and air con had us quickly returning to normal. A few hours later we walked down to the marina and gawked at the wealth that was entering to refuel, depart or moor. While gawking we enjoyed a cold coke with ice … Jane has promised to indulge tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Freedom.


Violence. Greed. War.


A story to read ... destruction, fear ...


... never to forget ...





Colourful, inviting tables ... still early morning ...




Rubber duckies ..


Love the lanes.


Energizing for the market sales expected ...


Thirsty ... cold water very inviting ..



Civu Frana Cun dulica Narod 1893.


Note 'the bell ringer' ...


Dubrovnik Cathedral dome.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb