DAY 60 DUBROVNIK


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Dalmatia » Dubrovnik
July 14th 2023
Published: July 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post


Placa (Stradun) main street of the old town.
We made the decision to catch an early bus into the old town so as to be able to avoid the hordes of tourists that would probably descend upon the wall as the morning progressed. An excellent decision as we were not held up, felt rushed or crushed at any stage. Information given to us had the following:



"Today’s size of the Dubrovnik walls was shaped in the 13th century. The walls were systematically updated and built up to 1660 when the last Bastion of St Stephan was finished in the southern segment of the walls. The 1940m long walls consist of the main city wall, sixteen towers, three fortresses, six bastions, two corner fortifications (’kantonate’), three bulwarks with rows of turrets, three moats, two flank fortresses, one breakwater, and two drawbridges. At some points up to 25m high, the main wall is 4–6m thick on the land side and 1.5-3 m on the seaside."



By the conclusion of the walk I was soaked in sweat. The positive was the cooling effect when exposed to the breeze. You could not escape the blazing sun as there were no areas to shelter. We continually drank on

Lane coming off the main street.
the walk and when finished we did the same, plus a coffee was purchased too. The sea was a rich blue but not totally calm as a slight breeze had built up with the resultant swell turning white when hitting the stone walls. Instead of taking the cable car to the highest point we decided to head back to our accommodation, leaving the cable car experience for tomorrow. The temperature is in the high 30's and it does sap ones energy. We aren't in our 20's!!! The mind is but the body definitely isn't.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Defensive canon (for show) not on the 'the wall' overlooking the weather protected fisherman's and charter boat harbour.


Recreational, fisherman boats, charter boats in safe anchorage. St John's Fortress is centre and top of photo.
77
7

Arches are common within the walls of the old town.


Pedestrian only thoroughfares


Wire-haired fox terrier ... reminded us of our "Rusty" who has since died.


Fresh at the moment ...


The beginning of the Dubrovnik Wall walk ... up the steps.


Looking down on the main street. Businesses that accommodate tourists dominate the ground floors.


Franciscan Church bell tower dominates the skyline.



The colour of the rooves differ only because the newer rooves had replaced the ones damaged in the war of the 90's. They were the closest match.


St Lawrence Fortress to the right.


Fort Lovrijenac is high and centre of phot



A damaged section from the artillery shelling of the 90's conflict is still evident.


St Lawrence fortress with the 'old canon' atop



Smiling still. Absolutely love this walking experience.


The centre core of the palm was massive


Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb