Background: The Bulgars, a Central Asian Turkic tribe, merged with the local Slavic inhabitants in the late 7th century to form the first Bulgarian state. In succeeding centuries, Bulgaria struggled with the Byzantine Empire to assert its place in the Balkans, but by the end of the 14th century the country was overrun by the Ottoman Turks. Northern Bulgaria attained autonomy in 1878 and all of Bulgaria became independent in 1908. Having fought on the losing side in both World Wars, Bulgaria fell within the Soviet sphere of influence and became a People's Republic in 1946. Communist domination ended in 1990, when Bulgaria held its first multiparty election since World War II and began the contentious process of moving toward political democracy and a market economy while combating inflation, unemployment, corruption, and crime. Today, reforms and democratization keep Bulgaria on a path toward eventual integration into the EU. The country joined NATO in 2004.
Photos from Sofia
Blogs from Sofia
Latest Blogs from Sofia
- August 18th 2013 A Pilgrimage that Ended in a Bang!
by Words: 1247 Photos: 0
- August 15th 2013 Sofia, Bulgaria
by Words: 182 Photos: 6
- August 8th 2013 Escape to the Balkans – Part 2 (Bulgaria)
by Words: 405 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2013 Sofia...such an hidden jewel!
by Words: 1020 Photos: 34
- July 17th 2013 Sofia, bulgeria
by Words: 1 Photos: 11
- June 11th 2013 Sofia Bulgaria 9 to 10 June 2013
by Words: 554 Photos: 25
- June 2nd 2013 Sofia, Bulgaria
by Words: 877 Photos: 40
- April 13th 2013 Fun facts, fun hike and a lovely ride
by Words: 1459 Photos: 21
- June 17th 2012 Turkey (Istanbul) and Bulgaria (Sofia)
by Words: 1089 Photos: 25
- January 19th 2012 Just let me hear some of that rock and roll music...
by Words: 1126 Photos: 12
- January 13th 2012 Bulgaria ..bulging with stuff!
by Words: 854 Photos: 32
- September 16th 2011 Sofia, Bulgaria
by Words: 215 Photos: 5
- August 17th 2011 Princess Sofia
by Words: 356 Photos: 5
- August 13th 2011 Sofia - Day 9
by Words: 559 Photos: 27
- August 12th 2011 Last day in Sofia for a while..
by Words: 135 Photos: 0
- August 12th 2011 Sofia and the Black Sea
by Words: 9 Photos: 15
- August 11th 2011 No more mladost
by Words: 309 Photos: 1
- April 18th 2011 Sofia, Bulgaria - Day 2
by Words: 445 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2011 Sofia, Bulgaria - Day 1
by Words: 445 Photos: 0
- March 27th 2011 March 23rd-Sofia, Bulgaria
by Words: 346 Photos: 0