Not All Things Are the Same


Advertisement
Bosnia and Herzegovina's flag
Europe » Bosnia & Herzegovina » East » Sarajevo
July 12th 2014
Published: July 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Just in case you're wondering: music in this area of the world is 1) mostly American and 2) about 5-10 years behind America. For example, Daft Punk's Around the World is a big deal right about now. We went to a live band club late tonight, where they played tributes. I won't lie, they rocked This Love by Maroon 5.

Earlier in the day, on a different note, we stopped by the Serbian Orthodox Church, where we met with an ex-soldier for the Republic of Srpska. He had a very different take on the war, which was something new to us. As we head into Serbian territory over the next week, I'm sure we'll start to see some very different attitudes than what we encountered here in Sarajevo.



After the Church, we went to the restaurant attached to the local brewery, which had absolutely delicious food (and it was free, as a planned event!). We went home from there to finish up our essays, which were due at midnight. No worries, I got mine in on time! Of course, we did have to celebrate finishing them, so a large group of us went out together to watch the 3rd place game. Poor Brazil.



After the game, we went to the local bar called Monument that we've stopped at several times over the last two weeks. Our favorite waiter there, who we almost always get, we've nicknamed "Johnny Depp," and he is honestly really cool. He's got some amazing stories about travel and experiences (not all good, but still fascinating...), and is in fact planning to move to Canada sometime soon-ish. Although they don't have it on the menu, he also went and talked to his boss and managed to get us absinthe, which we wanted to try simply because it's banned in the US. Given that Van Gogh reportedly drank absinthe before cutting off his ear...we opted to stop at one drink each. It was interesting, though: you have to set it on fire and drink it hot, with sugar and diluted. While I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way for it, I could appreciate the novelty of trying something like that.



Tomorrow is a free day, which will definitely be used partly for sleeping in and packing, and partly for the World Cup Final. We're counting down the hours now until we leave, anxious and excited for our next adventure!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb