Bruges = Waffles!


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
June 8th 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 7th June
Final packing and chat with Tim before meet the guests for breakfast, and all head down to the coach. Interesting loading the coach - not entirely sure where we’re putting everything, but it all has to fit on. The coach seats about 70+, and there’s only 23 of us now, 28 of us later so it’s all got to fit on. There’s a lot of tinned food to fit in every corner too as this is the basis of most of our meals. John has a reputation of being a bit of a genius with this food, so we’ll see! Seems like a good crowd of ‘travellers’, got everyone sat upstairs, whilst Paul & I took the table areas downstairs as we’re going to have to prepare on the move! Think ‘my’ verse (Matt 6:34: “Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”) is going to come back into play! Safely to Folkstone, last couple of people collected, and onto the Eurotunnel easily enough. Safe drive through France into Belgium. Arrived at campsite near Bruges in the drizzle. Found note with information left by campsite, directing us to 4 plots. Caravan parked in middle of 4 plots - not helpful. Decided to work around it in hope they would come back and move - they did, although tried to say that as they were leaving EARLY in the morning could we leave them for one night - no, sorry! Found instructions for tents, but seemed to be straightforward so continued without. Soon up, if a bit haphazard layout… and first dinner is already cooking. Got a sense of the place, found that needed a caravan adaptor for the electricity so several people sat in the toilets next to their possessions/electricity points. First evening meeting on the bus as was raining - got quite steamed up as Paul gave his testimony and we played an icebreaker - find an alliterative adjective to describe yourself, and then introduce one-another. Finally got to unpack my stuff in the dark and found out that my airbed needs batteries so back on the old one that sinks!

Sunday 8th June
Up early-ish for breakfast/prayer meeting. Some of the group found bikes and headed into Bruges that way, arranging to meet us 11.15am in front of the bell tower. The rest of us walked at a very relaxed pace into Bruges, over the rivers, etc. checking out the chocolate/lace shops, etc. Past the town hall, bit of a group shot, and met at the bell-tower. Not all went up, bit of a queue. We had 16, only 70 allowed up any one time, we got group rate inc 1 free! Quite a steep climb, headed straight up to hear the bells chime at noon, got some good views, then checked out the other exhibits on the way down. No one wanted to do a river cruise, but did want to go to Choco-story which I’d seen in the Lonely Planet. Group rate for 15 - without 16, not a free place, but as an apology for mis-communication she gave me 500g chocolate! Interesting to visit, and good chocolate demonstration (a few free tasters). We’re all tired by the end and not taking all the exhibits in.. although plenty of daft photo opportunities, so met back in the central square where several disappeared off for waffles of different varieties before heading back to camp for evening meal and meeting - where Paul introduced the book of to Romans.




Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb