cycletrip on labourday


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Limburg » Genk
May 1st 2007
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Genk, a cycletrip of 30 kilometers, in total


peacefull landscape in the countryside of Limburgpeacefull landscape in the countryside of Limburgpeacefull landscape in the countryside of Limburg

you may see the minehill of Genk at this picture!

Genk, a cycletrip of 30 kilometers, in total
An
The first of May is a national holiday in Belgium.

But actually, Labour Day is an annual holiday celebrated all over the world that resulted from efforts of the labour union movement, to celebrate the economic and social achievements of workers.

The celebration of Labour Day has its origins in the eight hour day movement, which advocated eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest. On 21 April 1856 Stonemasons and building workers on building sites around Melbourne, Australia, stopped work and marched from the University of Melbourne to Parliament House to achieve an eight hour day. Their direct action protest was a success, and they are noted as the first organized workers in the world to achieve an eight hour day with no loss of pay, which subsequently inspired the celebration of Labour Day and May Day.
Most countries celebrate Labour Day on May 1, known as May Day. In Europe the day has older significance as a rural festival which is predominantly more important than that of the Labour Day movement. In belgium Labour day is celebrated with parades and free festivals all over the country. it is oftenly also the start of the flowerseason.

Marco and I celebrated our May Day with a cycle trip from Hasselt, the place where we live, to Genk. it became a wonderfull trip along the Channel of Albert, the private area of Bokrijk and the forest of Limburg and a selfmade picknick. We ended up in Genk to attend the Flower parade, a international parade with beautiful costumes and artists from Belgium and neighbour countries like The Netherlands and Germany.

The weather was beautiful, the compagny even better, a delicous home made pick nick, new bycicles... all ingredients for a greath experience!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mozes in HasseltMozes in Hasselt
Mozes in Hasselt

try to read the words that are written at the bottom of this drawing...


Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb