Belgium


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » East Flanders » Gent
July 28th 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

We didn't want to miss the opportunity to experience more history on our trip. We stayed in a scenic village near the city of Gent, where our B&B hosts started things off on a high note by offering everyone local beverages, Dad indulged himself in some local brew. Everyone enjoyed this introduction to the new country. After our introductions we had a nice dinner in the city of Gent but wanted to get a good nights sleep after the long day of travel.

After waking up and enjoying a nice breakfast and garden tour, we made our way to the Flanders Fields Museum in the historic town of Ypres. The museum was a wealth of information not only about the battle of Ypres but the whole of World War I. On top of this, you were able to tailor the experience to your nationality which gave the museum a more personalized feel. We followed the museum visit with a trip to the Tyne Cot Cemetery, the largest Commonwealth War Gravesite from the 1st World War. At this site we were able to get into perspective how many people sacrificed their lives to win our freedom.

Before leaving Belgium and heading to the last destination of our trip, the Netherlands, we visited many chocolate shops. Our willpower reached an all-time low during the trip which resulted in having enough snacks for the trip to Amsterdam... And back home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb